• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FireWood pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Arroyo

Greybeard
Reaction score
Here ya go. I was suddenly bit by the building bug, and started ordering a number of parts. But the catalogs were not helping. So I went to the scrap pile and looked around for discarded parts. And I went to the woodpile and pulled a piece of walnut.

So I named this little pistol "FireWood" :)

FW_lock.jpg

FW_top.jpg

FW_off.jpg

Doc,
Nice wood and nice work! I wish my wood pile had wood like that in it!! I cut some walnut logs a few years ago and was waiting until the right time to build something. Your pix have inspired me! :master:

Sure is pretty, Doc. Nice work. Can you tell us anything else about it? And what is the ramrod made of?

Can you tell us anything else about it? And what is the ramrod made of?

The lock is a Cochran that was never a great lock on my rifle. So I replaced it about 12 years ago, and threw this lock in the scrap bin. It isn't a great sparker, and has a few problem that I never bothered to fix, but it looks good enough on this belt hanger. :)

An old friend of my Dad's was playing around with making barrels with a drill press and a draw file. I inherited a few of them, and use them for the iron. This is the first that I have used for a barrel, and I played with a bit of decorative filing. It is about .42 caliber, but won't be accurate because it is rough as a cob.

Triggerguard was broken off of a friends rifle. I pulled it from the scrap bin, reshaped and filed it.

The rammer is a piece of ash dowel that I chucked into my drill press and tapered to the bugle shape that you see. It also has a convex face.

Great looking little belt pistol ye built thar!
Adding the groove to the muzzle end adds a nice note of interest too! :applause:

I once built a potato gun out of scrap PVC...IT WASN'T NEAR AS PRETTY AS YOUR PISTOL!!! :thumbsup:

nice little pistol...I recently made one with the identical Cochran lock that I've had since 1981. We both re-shaped the back of the lockplate the same! My Cochran, however sparks great! In fact, better than any of my Chambers or L&R locks.... :results:

Back