• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fired my first flintlock today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean E Bug

32 cal. or less
Reaction score
I built a 32 caliber rifle for a friend and sighted it in today. it was cold and a bit rainy and snowy but a good time. after my first couple of shots I started to have trouble with flashes in the pan. I am just looking for some tips or things I can change for more reliable ignition. I am in the habit of wiping with a damp patch between shots could this have pushed fowling over the touch hole. I only had a nipple pick but would pushing in a vent pick after loading or having it in while loading help? the vent is simply a 1/16 hole drilled in the barrel. I am going to try and cone it on the outside. any other advice on improving reliability would be appreciated.

The damp patch will push fouling back to the breech face and the touch hole. this can happen very quickly in your small bored 32 caliber rifle. A slightly under sized jag will allow the damp patch to pass over the fouling while softening it as the wiping patch is sent to the breech face. The damp patch will bunch up around the jag and pull the powder out. A nipple pick will clear the touch hole. I have used a dental flossing brush to clear the touch hole or a tiny compressor tip cleaning brush from Harbor Freight to clear the touch hole. Both help. The high humidity from the rain and snow add to the fouling issues. Even the no wiping method won't eliminate the fouling build up at the breech on wet days unless you use a nipple pick to keep the touch hole clear.

I built a 32 caliber rifle for a friend and sighted it in today. it was cold and a bit rainy and snowy but a good time. after my first couple of shots I started to have trouble with flashes in the pan. I am just looking for some tips or things I can change for more reliable ignition. I am in the habit of wiping with a damp patch between shots could this have pushed fowling over the touch hole. I only had a nipple pick but would pushing in a vent pick after loading or having it in while loading help? the vent is simply a 1/16 hole drilled in the barrel. I am going to try and cone it on the outside. any other advice on improving reliability would be appreciated.
First, congratulations on your build and firing the first shot.
Second, as long as the vent hole is 1/16" it's good to go. You shouldn't cone from the outside. As @waksupi said, you can drill out the vent hole, tap it, and install a vent liner. But not required. And using a vent prick each time is good.
Just be prepared to swab as often as needed with the smaller bore.

The damp patch will push fouling back to the breech face and the touch hole. this can happen very quickly in your small bored 32 caliber rifle. A slightly under sized jag will allow the damp patch to pass over the fouling while softening it as the wiping patch is sent to the breech face. The damp patch will bunch up around the jag and pull the powder out. A nipple pick will clear the touch hole. I have used a dental flossing brush to clear the touch hole or a tiny compressor tip cleaning brush from Harbor Freight to clear the touch hole. Both help. The high humidity from the rain and snow add to the fouling issues. Even the no wiping method won't eliminate the fouling build up at the breech on wet days unless you use a nipple pick to keep the touch hole clear.
Right on , if your jag is too big, chuck it in a poor mans lathe ( electric drill ) and use a file to take it down a tad , don't forget to keep the groves in the jag sharp so they catch the cloth easily . If you can still get pipe cleaners , they also work well as a flash hole cleaner . Maybe you have a craft shop near you that sells the big ones used for "art" work .

Large pipe cleaners often have a large wire core that is too big for most touch holes. You want small diameter pipe cleaners for flintlock touch holes or the dental flossing brushes. Those are often designed to be gentle for getting between teeth, but still do a reasonably good job of removing fouling from a touch hole. Big pipe cleaners work better for going from a percussion nipple seat to the powder chamber.

Latest posts

Back