• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Firearms of the Fur Trade by James A. Hanson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have this book that can comment on the content and quality? Sounds like a good book with a lot of information, but is also fairly expensive. Would like some first hand knowledge before spending that much. Not a lot of info to be found as far as reviews and such. Thanks

Excellent reference book with very good illustrations. You can get it from the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Nebraska.
If you are a member, i.e. a subscriber to The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, you get a 10% discount on everything they sell.

If you are really into fur trade history, a subscription to the Quarterly is well worth it. the most recent issue just arrived in my mailbox yesterday. The bulk of it was devoted to spotlighting guns from a special exhibition. It's a very good issue.

Back to the original question... I have not seen the book that is the subject of this thread, but I have not heard anything negative about it. I have several publications Dr. Hanson has authored or edited, and they are all first class. If I had room for it, I would buy it today. However, my wife has been after me about my books... If another one arrives in the mail and she sees it, Mama won't be happy... Especially a big one like that...

Notchy Bob

Back