• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fire striker kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpottedBull

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple pictures of a fire kit I put together recently.
1560677_10201547079425856_1327544139_n.jpg
1551571_10201547077625811_467091819_n.jpg

A couple pictures of a fire kit I put together recently.View attachment 12332 View attachment 12333
Nice, but where it is the flint, charr cloth or tinder fungus? Did you make the steel? I see lines on the steel, was that a chunk of file? You have a nice pouch and steel for part of the kit. You are one good fire starter, if you can make a fire with just a steel and a pouch:p
Flintlocklar

Nice work -- I really like that. I saw an original about 20 years ago in an antique shop that attributed that particular piece to Tibet. Do you know if these were used in Europe or the American Colonies?

I saw an old newspaper ad for them, but I'm not sure where that paper was from. Also, I'd seen a few reproductions and took the idea and made my own copies.

Do you know if these were used in Europe or the American Colonies?
According to Wick Ellerbe; "They are reported to have originated in Asia, and spread to the middle east. The British then began making them in the 18th c., and they became somewhat popular as pipe lighters. It is not a great stretch to assume their use in the colonies, and there are some of these in private collections attributed to be American, but more likely they are of British origin and brought over by immigrants, and soldiers. There is also a similar kit in the Kit Carson museum that is reported to have been his, and worn around his neck. It is in very good condition, but the striker shows much use".

http://www.wickellerbe.com/gallery/index.php?action=showfull&vpic=146&gll=6&tpic=8&maxp=10

Back