• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Have not been in the shop as of late, Figure this would be a good project to get things rolling again.
Striker is from 1095. Pouch is 4/5oz veg tan,Tinder tube is brass with cotton cord, Flint from the pan handle of Fl.
As always, Thanks for looking! :v

100_3315 by lonehunter1, on Flickr

100_3318 by lonehunter1, on Flickr

I have found that the tinder tube cotton will catch the spark when nothing else will. I consider it more important than charcloth. And, tinder tubes are documented as historically correct whereas charcloth is not.

I thank Wick for getting me interested in the tinder tube. He makes an upscale tube although I just use a short section of copper pipe. The tinder tube is easy to use, and no need to make char cloth, etc. I always use it unless there is some reason for the char cloth.

I recently started using the tinder tube also. Mine is from a deer leg bone, but same principle. I like the fact it is "self charring" and doesn't use it up like the char cloth (but still keep some handy too). Nice kit! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
lonehunter said:
Have not been in the shop as of late, Figure this would be a good project to get things rolling again.
Striker is from 1095. Pouch is 4/5oz veg tan,Tinder tube is brass with cotton cord, Flint from the pan handle of Fl.
As always, Thanks for looking! :v

100_3315 by

OK now I got too ask! This weekend I happened to stop by a flea market here in town and when I looked at this thread it all came back too me. I remember picking up a package that was on one table and seeing something that looked like your "tinder tube cotton cord"
The package had two each and it said, "Lamp Wicks"!!

So here is the question is the cotton cord the same thing as a lamp wick??? Cause I swear it looked exactly like that!!!!

Well anything with "Wick" in the name has got to be questionable :haha:
I dont know if there is any difference or not. What I use is bought at the fabric store labeled "cotton cord" I see no reason the lamp wick would not work, I think they are cotton also.

In our modern times,
the difference can be the presence of a flame retardant added to the fabric or not.

A bunch of different chemicals are used when fabric is processed long before it's made into garments and/or hobby craft items, all to appease OSHA, Underwriters Lab and other Fed an State laws.
(Thanks' for making us Safe!)

Typical "washing" won't take this stuff out of the fabric or rope/cotton cord, that's why Tommy's old flannel PJ's, Blue Jeans and Tshirts won't make good char. A couple years exposed to Sunlight daily will.

The manila guide ropes for my tent and awning won't smolder. I took some of the old ropes and strung them along a fence line in the back 40 and left'm for a few years, now the stuff makes great tinder and nest material.

If you want to buy good fabric for charcloth get the stuff they use to cover ironing boards like Monk cloth, it's chemical free so the hot iron and steam won't transfer into the item being. ironed.

Good point on the cloth, I would not emagine a lamp wick would be treated so it should be a safe bet. The cotton cord at Jo anns fabric does not appear to be treated either as is works very well.
On a side note. To me, the tinder tube use would be limited to lighting a pipe or maybe to get a candle going, for fire starting I have found that chared punk wood is the way to go.

If you want to buy good fabric for charcloth get the stuff they use to cover ironing boards like Monk cloth

AHhhhh,,,,now ye went and blew it. :cursing:
Monk cloth for char was my secret. :wink:
Yes, IMHO, it is the bestest material for making char cloth there is. Very loose weave that catches sparks like crazy. :thumbsup:

Yup, the stuff is the stuff to use.
If your trying any kind of fire starting contest it helps to have your char catch a spark with the 1st striker pass,, there's more too getting flame than just the spark but it sure helps to have good char, :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
If you want to buy good fabric for charcloth get the stuff they use to cover ironing boards like Monk cloth

AHhhhh,,,,now ye went and blew it. :cursing:
Monk cloth for char was my secret. :wink:
Yes, IMHO, it is the bestest material for making char cloth there is. Very loose weave that catches sparks like crazy. :thumbsup:

My personal favorite is terrycloth wash rags. The little nap that sticks up catches sparks like crazy and adds surface area to light up while blowing.

Back