• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fire Hardening?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys thinking about re-creating an original ball starter from my Hawken rifle book. It’s basically a wooden cylinder with a smaller wooden shaft coming off it which is the part that goes in the bore. Also going to add a smaller wood nubbin to do the initial seating.

Plan is to use 3/8” straight grain hickory for the tips and probably 7/8” or 1” hardwood dowel from Home Depot for the handle section.

Do you guys think I could fire harden the tips? Would it help with the strength? Also what type of adhesive should I use for connecting the shafts to the handle? Any special way to do that other than drill a 3/8” hole and put it some adhesive and stick in the shaft?

Thanks all!

-Smokey

I've started doing that. It's been working great for me!
You have to be a little more cautious though, with the die on the wood shaft, and clear the threads more often.

Guys thinking about re-creating an original ball starter from my Hawken rifle book. It’s basically a wooden cylinder with a smaller wooden shaft coming off it which is the part that goes in the bore. Also going to add a smaller wood nubbin to do the initial seating.

Plan is to use 3/8” straight grain hickory for the tips and probably 7/8” or 1” hardwood dowel from Home Depot for the handle section.

Do you guys think I could fire harden the tips? Would it help with the strength? Also what type of adhesive should I use for connecting the shafts to the handle? Any special way to do that other than drill a 3/8” hole and put it some adhesive and stick in the shaft?

Thanks all!

-Smokey
Smokey,
I have never fire hardened my tips. Yes to both: you can fire harden and it will help the strength. It is not necessary if you are using straight grain hardwood per your post. What you are suggesting for a handle is a too small for my likes. If you have a rifle or get one that has a tight bullet, the small diameter handle will be uncomfortable to load. Make sure the hole for the dowel is a snug one. You should be able to place the dowel in the hole, invert holding the dowel with the head staying on. Good old Elmers WOOD glue will work just fine.
Flintlocklar:D

I think we have some at work. Do you think I could thread the handle and shafts? Never thought of that before.
You are thinking outside the box! Are you not trying to re create an original ball starter? Do you really think they threaded the wood? I am not chastising your wishes, just trying to get you to think again.
Flintlocklar:)

I like a 1 1/4 -1 1/2 handle on mine. A 3/8 drill bit will drill a snug hole for a 3/8 dowel. a few drops of Super glue gel is all you need. I have an old Hickory shovel handle I make mine from.

My starter is 40 years old and is a piece of somewhat round oak about 2 inches around with a short section of ramrod to initially start the ball, maybe 1/2" long on one side and a piece of ramrod about 6" long to start the ball down the barrel mounted on the side. There are no brass tips and it has lasted for years. I just drilled holes and glued the ramrod pieces in it. It is ugly, but works.

I have made many short starters from hickory ram rod cut-offs. I cup the end with a drill then fire temper with a candle flame. Some of these have been in use for many years and show no sign of wear.

Here are a few of the many I've cobbled together. Antler was used a lot as was wood. The shaft was simply fitted into a drilled hole and glued & sometimes pinned in place. Brass tips were sometimes installed on the shaft ends but many just had a plain wood tip.
PICT0570-1.jpg
89b20b4a-02bd-41be-9eb6-81dadfa7c30e-zpsd567bcc6.jpg

With a short starter, you are not pulling the shaft, so glue will hold the short dowel.

Do take care when making a short starter. You want the dowel to just take the ball to a point either above the dove tail in the rifle barrel or an inch below the dove tail. If horror of horrors, you forget to run the ball to the breech, the pressure spike won't hit at the thin area where the dove tail sits.

In the old days they probably used hide glue-really strong but it can dry out after a time. And moisture will weaken it. Modern wood glue-titebond III or equivalent.

Thanks, yall.

I made the starter tonight, it’s currently drying with a coat of TruOil. I got a 1” hardwood dowel from the Home Depot for the handle. I cut it to length, drilled the holes, and used a rasp to round the edges. I cut the hickory rods to length and cupped each end for a roundball, and carefully fire hardened them. I used Gorilla wood glue and clamps to secure them in place, made sure they fit nice and snug. Finished with a couple coats of Fiebings and some TruOil.

Super pleased with the way it came out. Looks very similar to the one in my Hawken book. I’ll put up a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the help, all!

Back