• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fire at Goex black powder plant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On June 18 2021 there was a fire at the Goex black powder plant at Camp Minden La. I was told at the log cabin today that Goex expects the plant to be down for up to 90 days. They were limiting purchases to 1 pound of black powder.

George

I have "close" to maybe half a case. Should last me a while as I don't shoot as often as I used to.

Hodgdon Press Release

Attachments

• Goex.jpg
    Goex.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 177
Bet the current administration couldn’t be happier.
My money says no more BP will ever be manufactured in the US again.
We will be dependent on imports, which can easily be shut off at any time by our government or by international treaties already in effect. This is very, very bad news.

I have been telling people to buy their multi-year/lifetime supply of powder NOW for several years. Few have taken my advice.

This should increase the popularity of small-bore rifles significantly, though. Kibler needs to get a couple more kits in production; say, a Lancaster and a half-stock non-southern rifle that is not too long or heavy in 32, .36, and .40.

Black Powder and the sport that surrounds it will be pushed into extinction if the powers that be want it that way.
For many years when living in NJ I had to go to PA. to get B P. The State made the costs of licensing and storage fees too high for the average shop when it is really a niche item among all others. So, many places stopped carrying it.
Look at the availability of smokeless and primers and caps.....none to be had. Not that im paranoid or crazy but there seems to be an undercurrent of deliberate actions surrounding all of this. Whats next? Easton will stop making Arrows? We the citizens have quietly stood by and watched as our Rights and the instruments of our rights have slowly been eaten away at. Look at The Lee Statue in Richmond...there should have been thousands if not tens of thousands of Virginians protesting "Hands off our History" for its good and its bad. They came in and removed it without a whimper .We the people have gotten what we have asked for.

Last edited:
Not to add fuel to the fire but I go through about four pounds of powder per year. Not very much compared to others. But after reading this post I got on my horse and headed for my go to supplier which happens to be the kittery trading post in Kittery Maine. I’m glad I went, they are already getting low and were out or Goex 2f. I was able to get Goex 3F but I had to settle on schuetzen 2f but better to have some rather then none. Hopefully things will be better next year….I hope!!

I also concur with those whom have fears about regulating or outright banning the importation of B.P.
I had Gov.XXXXXX in XX whom at the stoke of a pen eliminated Bear Hunting to appease special interests.
All in the face of the expertise and advise by the fish and game division not to do so. And also by the number of Hunters that partook in the activity. This was just on a State level. The thing is our Country is being run with the same mentality. The possibility that this can happen is pretty great.

Back