• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finishing Round Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskinn

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I have another dumb round barrel question. Draw filing a barrel with flats I get. But what is the best way to finish/polish a round barrel? Sandpaper? Emery cloth? Also trying to figure out if I can file out the boogering I did with the vise!

Last edited:
Start sanding length wise with the coarser grit paper with a backing block. Then the next finer grit around the barrel. Continue with each finer grit length wise and then around to the grade of finish you want. This will give a finish job that is straight and even.

If you’re going to brown it, use plumbers emery cloth. All you’re doing, is cleaning to bare metal, and giving the chemicals a chance to bite.
Polishing to leave bright, is another matter.

This is is the untouched original finish of my 1858 .577.cal Volunteer rifle made by Robert Taylor Pritchett just before he moved away from St James St, London to his new premises. It has a hook breech and the tang is made of steel and not high-grade iron like the barrel. The difference in finish is clearly see-ish.

1639320261646.png

1639320327551.png

and THIS is the untouched barrel of an 1862 Enfield P53 Snider conversion -
1639320467202.png

Back