• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finishing a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerjw

32 Cal
Reaction score
So, I took the plunge earlier this week and picked up a Traditions Kentucky flintlock .50 caliber kit.... Curses to the BP Flintlock guys at the range...
As a kit, it needs to have several things done to get it into shooting condition.
The first one step that I am planning on tackling is the barrel. I can likely get it blued locally but I'm not sure how period correct that would be. I know there are a couple of other treatments available so I figured that I would ask the group for opinions of what looks best.

Bluing is one of the historically offered barrel protections seen on advertisements of the period. Left in the white is another option that will age into a gray patina. Its a bit harder to keep free from rust, but that's a problem I face all the time with my Land Pattern Musket.

Cold blued and rubbed back to a gray finish is a good and attractive choice. It gives protection and the appearance of a well used and cared for rifle. I do like the deep browns I have on my Hawken and my 1803 Harper's Ferry rifles.

The only opinion that matters for what looks best is @bakerjw's opinion.

Sending it for hot blue will cost you about half of what you paid for the rifle. I would just cold blue it, looks more natural for a ML anyway than a hot blue. I prefer blue over brown, but that is individual choice. Cold blue is easier also - degrease, rub on, buff, repeat rub on, buff, etc.
You can kinda see below of comparison of white and finished barrel.

20200123_193301.jpg
20190414_0956082.jpg

Cold blue is ok, but as they are only a chemical stain they will eventually rub off to a grey finish-- which is ok if that is what you want. Rust brown is historical, wears well, and takes no special equipment. I prefer rust blue on my older style rifles, but you have to have a way to evenly heat the barrel by boiling or steaming.

Rust brown is my preference. I have used the Birchwood Casey Plum Brown to good effect. It is a hot instant rust browning method. But honestly, you should finish the rest of the gun first as you will be putting the barrel in and out a number of times. Less risk of marring the finish if you wait till the end.

I like a browned barrel. It is easy and low cost, plug the bore wel,degrease and place barrel in a piece of pvc pipe caped on one end, add coke a cola to cover barrel,Yea things go better with coke! let set over night remove rinse and oil!

I'm new to this also and I'm building my first kit rifle (a hawken) but I'm using Dangler's Browning Solution. It came highly recommended. It does take a while to finish but not a high degree of difficulty.

From the finished that I'm seeing, I'm leaning toward rust bluing. Midway has an exceptionally well done video on rust bluing which I've watched several times. Sounds simple enough to go from FeO2 to FeO3.
That's still quite a ways out though.

Yeah he has the whole series of building this gun. He’s got a lot of other very informative videos. He’s also a member of this forum. I’ll check out the MidwayUSA video but I’ve already got the Danglers. But depending on how this one turns out I’ll look into the Rust Bluing for the GPR I have on order.

Back