• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished up my newest shooting bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20190401_152448.jpg
20190401_153352.jpg
20190401_152731.jpg

I had some random leather sitting around and decided that I needed a new shooting bag.

I ended up patterning the shape of it with a square salad plate from the kitchen that had a nice size and shape, cut out three pieces the same size for the front flap, back, and cut an inch and a quarter off the top of the piece for the front of the bag.

I measured the length of the three sides to be stitched together and cut out a gusset at an inch and a half wide. If I were to make another I would increase the size of the gusset from an inch and a half to two inches or so. As it turned out it is perfectly serviceable, but I could stand to have it just a touch roomier inside. I also cut out a five inch square for an interior pocket and two 6 inch by 1 and a quarter inch pieces for the straps on the back. I did this because I wanted to be able to use it as either a smallish shoulder bag or largish belt bag by removing the D rings and shoulder strap.

The next step was laying out the pieces and punching the holes for the stitching. I used black waxed thread and saddle stitched the straps to the back and the interior pocket to the inside of the front part of the bag. Then I saddle stitched the gusset to the back and the front to the gusset and back portion. Leaving the front flap to be attached to the top of the bag, this I did again with the old reliable saddle stitch. After the main of the bag was assembled I decided to use some white artificial sinew for some decoration and whip stitched around the top seam and the front seam just to give it a little reinforcement and contrast.

I need to touch up the dye on the edges of the strap, and will likely replace the D rings with some forged iron at some point in the future. I just wanted to assemble it with what I had to hand at the moment and think that it turned out pretty well.

View attachment 7628 View attachment 7629 View attachment 7630
I had some random leather sitting around and decided that I needed a new shooting bag.

I ended up patterning the shape of it with a square salad plate from the kitchen that had a nice size and shape, cut out three pieces the same size for the front flap, back, and cut an inch and a quarter off the top of the piece for the front of the bag.

I measured the length of the three sides to be stitched together and cut out a gusset at an inch and a half wide. If I were to make another I would increase the size of the gusset from an inch and a half to two inches or so. As it turned out it is perfectly serviceable, but I could stand to have it just a touch roomier inside. I also cut out a five inch square for an interior pocket and two 6 inch by 1 and a quarter inch pieces for the straps on the back. I did this because I wanted to be able to use it as either a smallish shoulder bag or largish belt bag by removing the D rings and shoulder strap.

The next step was laying out the pieces and punching the holes for the stitching. I used black waxed thread and saddle stitched the straps to the back and the interior pocket to the inside of the front part of the bag. Then I saddle stitched the gusset to the back and the front to the gusset and back portion. Leaving the front flap to be attached to the top of the bag, this I did again with the old reliable saddle stitch. After the main of the bag was assembled I decided to use some white artificial sinew for some decoration and whip stitched around the top seam and the front seam just to give it a little reinforcement and contrast.

I need to touch up the dye on the edges of the strap, and will likely replace the D rings with some forged iron at some point in the future. I just wanted to assemble it with what I had to hand at the moment and think that it turned out pretty well.

View attachment 7628 View attachment 7629 View attachment 7630

Very robust without looking like a man purse. All business! Good job.

Latest posts

Back