• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished the Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was given this old TC Hawken kit by a neighbor. It took me a while to finish, but tonight I put it all together as a finished rifle. I have another Hawken, an Italian replica, and the parts on the TC kit are interchangeable with much of the Italian gun. (!)

.50 caliber, stained with leather dye. LMF browning On the barrel. I used a combo of Permalyn sealer, finish and Tru Oil. Still a little too glossy perhaps.

I was a little concerned everything was too dark.........dark stock, browned barrel etc, but it looks ok.

I’m very curious to see how it shoots!!!

Thanks for all the help I got from people on this forum!

Attachments

• FAEE9773-88F7-4E9D-A6C1-6C55D9532586.jpeg
    FAEE9773-88F7-4E9D-A6C1-6C55D9532586.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 416
Shot the Hawken at the Griffin Gun Club today here in Georgia. Fine, helpful folks! I had a great time at a very nice facility.

Still sighting it in, it is a work in progress. I’m amazed at how slow I am loading this thing. More work to do on selecting a load/patch combo. I also need to use a bigger patch to swab the barrel, have had 2 slip off my jag.
I have been using 50 grains for punching paper initially.
overall, very satisfied with the Hawken So far!

Attachments

• F3B433A7-A3CA-41B2-9916-4679EE725E6B.jpeg
    F3B433A7-A3CA-41B2-9916-4679EE725E6B.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 112
Opinions are like other body parts that’s had by many any all small bad.... but
That all dark with that shiny brass looks real sharp.
Many like patina ( I’m one of them only changing inthe last year or two) but I would keep that brass bright. Against the other darkness it really pops.

Back