• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finished the Hakenbuchse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finished my .75 caliber hakenbuchse.

HPIM3928.jpg

The length of the barrel is 8.5" and the overrall length is 45". The stock is oak. The "haken" extends 7" below the stock, and is forged and hardened.

The barrel was turned from a piece of cold-rolled stock and has a .50 cal. chamber in the rear. I had originally made a few simple bands to hold the barrel, but Scott at Ardenwood Forge (it pays to be friends with a 'smith) forged the straps, the blade, and also the square bolts that hold it all together.

Here is a view of the left side and the ring:

HPIM3924.jpg

Here's the right:

HPIM3926.jpg

:v

Thats Cool :thumbsup: A couple questions,What is between the wood and the breech and what is the saddle ring's purpose? Also to fire do you put a bit of powder at the vent and light with a slow match?

That is a wonderful piece! I would love any specs/measurements you used for this. I've got some shafting I've been saving for just such a project.

There is a piece of leather behind the barrel.

I do not know the purpose of the ring, perhaps they originally were for hanging or if they did have a lanyard attached...I've seen them on other reproductions (the Rifle Shoppe, etc) and on museum pics. Looks cool, though. :shake:

A lot of literature provides that the blade was for hooking over a wall or some other object to absorb recoil...obviously written by someone who never shot one. The weight of the barrel absorbs the recoil. The hook serves as an effective back-up weapon - my blacksmith friend also teaches medievel and rennaisance swordsmanship, and demonstrated all kinds of parrys, defensive, and offensive moves that can be done with this weapon. We also tested the blade (which is unsharpened for safety) on a sheet metal (armor-thickness) plate. It punched a hole! :grin:

I have only shot this and my hand gonne with fuse. I guess I need some pointers on how to use a linstock.

FPDoc:

The only specs I have is what I listed in the first email.

Even though most things I make seem to come out OK in the end, I am never sure how to start each project, like which steps come first, how to shape things, etc. I have little ability to freehand draw, but can do wonders with crayons and a straight edge. :youcrazy:

On all of my gun and cannon projects, I make a cardboard template first:

HPIM3933.jpg

It allows me to check the visual balance and proportion of things. Also, as goofy as it sounds, I can hold the template in a shooting position to see how it "feels." Although I may make a few changes, the pattern is a good reference during the duration of the build.

Crayons and straight edges are wonderful things with cardboard right behind. I recognize your design process as eminently practical.

Very nice work. After seeing it, I, for one, wouldn't want to storm your castle! At least not without a tank.

I may have missed it, but what caliber did you make it?

Caveman Cad , I love it :rotf: Thats the same system I use for drawing up plans. :thumbsup:

:applause: Good touches and good thinking on the monster. Lot's of fun to shoot, it ought to turn heads on the range when you shoot it. When I brought one of my handgonnes to my club's range and fired it, they couldn't believe the loud boom and all the smoke---because all they thought they saw in my hand was a broom.It's great just reliving history by playing with these specialized toys, makes a lot of people real envious. Jealousy is a really horrible personality trait ain't it---HAH! :rotf: :thumbsup:

Coehorn: Just bloody lovely. Can't wait to hear how it does in live fire. The barrel contours and the forged straps and bolts are simply outstanding. Just hope you don't live in a hakenbuchse-free zone down there in the Bay Area.

Oh great!! Now there is another project in the line-up. So many projects, so little time. Emery

cowhornboy,
You say that the straps are held by square bolts. I don't see nuts on either side. How do these straps attach? Just want to know. The straps and bolts are a nice touch. Knowing you can penetrate armor is comforting in case you ever transport back to the fourteenth century, hee hee!
volatpluvia

The bolts are actually short steel lag bolts...the heads have been reforged. The ones on the left side are square (to kind-of look like nuts), while the ones on the right side have been struck with a "pyramid" shaped die that gives 'em an olde-tyme look.

I was going to drill through the stock and use long bolts and square nuts, but with the straps being hand forged to fit tightly, etc, I was afraid of not being able to get everything to line up without reaming the holes to oversized, etc. :redface:

Additionally, the lag bolts are strong enough, as there is no shear force against them.

I gotta have one :grin: I got a chunk of 4140 'bout 1-1/4"dia that should work.Did you make your bands in the barrel at random or from a picture of one?

Coehornboy:

Now THAT is a real piece of art! :applause:

Firing these big beasties is a little different from the regular Handgonne. Different but still as addicting!

Best of luck to your new baby!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Wow, fantastic work. :bow: :bow:
That looks really cool. :thumbsup:
And, still a virgin or had she made some smoke? :hmm:

:hatsoff:

Back