• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished smell on PC/HC Bags - how to eliminate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could use your help. I just cannot use this bag in it's present state. Meaning wearing it around others. It has a distinct "fragrance" that I would like to eliminate.
So I'm asking you makers for advice.
I got this at Kempton several years ago and noticed the fragrance but thought nothing of it. It would surely go away. After 3 years not much has changed.
I cannot ask the maker as he has passed - in covid '21.
I'm sure Mr. Tanner would be of help.
Could it be the stain used on the leather ? Or the glue to bind the ticking to the fabric ?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8c8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8c8.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 68
  • fullsizeoutput_8ca.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8ca.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 69
I could use your help. I just cannot use this bag in it's present state. Meaning wearing it around others. It has a distinct "fragrance" that I would like to eliminate.
I got this at Kempton several years ago and noticed the fragrance but thought nothing of it. It would surely go away. After 3 years not much has changed.
Could it be the stain used on the leather ? Or the glue to bind the ticking to the fabric ?
Have you tried laying it in the hot sun for a couple of days to cook it off?

Don't know if this will work or not but you could put it in the washing machine. I have got leather belts soaked while hunting in our swamps and when the leather dried it was none the worse for wear.

At the risk of seeming unkind Why bother ?. Use it ,wear it to a few rondesvous it will soon be over powered by the general Forest Grungy smell of the rest of the camp . Stink is primitive they HAD stink lots of it, its' wicked authentic'& " they would have stunk it if they would have had it " and Im'e sure that would be the last thing they worried about . I once did three primative events in a row & never changed my togs three weeks primitive .I got so rank I wonderered that the ' Widow makers might cashier me but I hinted it was uncle Ron so they didnt '.I ended up going bare foot because my socks ran away one night . My fault I should have kept them on . Nature blessed me with a poor sense of smell very usefull in exoctic lands. I can pick out gunpowder smoke & rotten eggs so allwa'ys knew when I was getting close to Rotorua but Roses didnt do it ..Anyway please excuse my banter but there is a point. Regards Rudyard

What manner of odor is it?
I'm wondering if it isn't a mold or mildew remnant within the fibers of the coverlet used to make the bag.

You might try putting it in a sealed container with baking soda and maybe some activated charcoal.

Maybe in a box that isn't airtight (to prevent further mold or mildew form the moisture) with some cut and bruised hemlock twigs, needles and all, if local to your area.

Someone else suggested smoke. Wood smoke is a good idea.

Baking soda/activated charcoal absorbs odors/toxins. Wood smoke kills bacteria that can cause odors and provides a cover scent.

I just cannot use this bag in it's present state. Meaning wearing it around others. It has a distinct "fragrance" that I would like to eliminate.
We have absolutely no way of knowing what your olfactory senses detect, nor any capability to understand what the offensive occasion to your item could be.
The item you display is a fabric, it could have been "infused" with any manner of fragrance.
If washing and/or other use of masking scents haven't removed the offensive odor,,
,,throw it away,, take the loose as a lesson.

Honest, you could spend day's trying to explain the smell to us that offends you, but this place doesn't have a "scratch-n-sniff" section that works well.

Wash it, dry it in the sun, put it in a bag full of pine needles, spray it with unscented febreeze, put it in a dryer with 5 sheet's of bounce,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's your nose, if you don't like it,, get rid of it.
(the bag, not your nose)

Soak it in vinegar, "skunk off" from Walmart, just a couple give it a go's that may or may not work. So what's the smell, chemical, organic, other?
Robby

Hang it outside.

Is it a chemical smell, a dead animal smell? Maybe the cloth part is reacting with dye or mold. Rotten improperly cured leather. Not much we can help with here. Does the whole bag smell or just some part of it? Maybe the best cure is a trip to the dumpster or a fire. Let us know.

Thank you all for your comments.
Mold and mildew is out. Seems more chemical. It's been hanging in the basement - cool and dry place.
Today it's once again resting on the back lid of the truck just absorbing the heat.
I'll likely try hand washing next.
Otherwise look for another come July.

Thats a pretty nice looking bag, I would wager it is a older comforter the body is made from, After the squirrel thing got to thinking about this situation for a bit, if me I would go to the local pet store buy a bag of cedar shavings stuff the bag with then then hang the bag out side for a few days, by hanging the bag the air and sunshine has the opportunity to circulate around and through the bag. I would not throw the bag away, Before that Let me know.

Back