• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finished one, another one close

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
finished a lefty .50 cal this summer (below) and dang near done with a fowler this week - both should be off to their new owners in a week or two.

Blank from Dunlaps. Left handed Siler banged around to resemble an English lock - altho the success of that is debatable.
Colerain barrel cut to 43" and poured nosecap.

Critiques MORE than welcome.

/mike millard

Would have liked to see some more photos of it. Looks like ya did a good job & made it unique, & I like that. Has a lil more gloss than I like, but that is me. Next time try working that trigger asm. a bit so they look more Tenn. If you can do the lock so nicely, you can do the triggers. Ya did quite well on the lock. Front of the T/Guard is inlet a lil deep, should be 1/2 in & 1/2 out. I really like the buttplate. Can't see the patchbox or the tang work.

Keith Lisle

A very nice gun...I just turened the pics around to get a clear view...for a right handed person;-)
One question though...since the stock was obviously not cut for a lock yet, why did you go through the pain of altering a Silder if you could have used an English lock from the start. Was it just to prove it can be done? I think it came out very well.

thanks
Uwe

I can tell ya.... Because Chambers don't make a LH Tenn. lock that is correct for a Tenn rifle.

Keith Lisle

Right. I only use locks from Chambers. L&R makes a couple lefty English locks, but .... I'll stick with Jim Chambers' quality and service.
/mike

And thanks for the kind words.
I'll get some pics of the fowler before i send it off.

And yeah Keith I dont like a glossy gun myself. I always wax em up before i deliver em, and tell them to keep waxin' if they want shine or let it wear off if not. If it was mine I'd knock that shine down right away.
/mike

Cherry stock?
Lollipop tang?
I think she's very beautiful.....although I agree with Kieth, I still think it's ok to "flavor" the trigger guard as deep as you did....I like it.
Southern rifles are a nice part in our history....it's a BIG wonder to me, that living smak dab in tenn......I don't see more originals..... :hmm:

Curly maple, actually.
Yes, lollipop tang. Tried something different on this one.
Seated barrel and inlet with a short tang first, shaped wrist to 98% final, then welded on lollipop extension, bent it to conform, and inlet it.
Didnt seem to make much difference.
I like the look of 'em, but i hate inletting them... I'd rather inlet an entry pipe or buttplate any day.
/mike

I'm not a builder, so no critiques from me. Will say this, that is one BEAUTIFUL southern mountain rifle - love the deep, warm color of the stock, too!

Back