• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finished My SMR Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for some touchups and polishing my .45 SMR is fully assembled and ready to shoot. I’m pleased overall but I started getting a little sloppy towards the end. Namely, while careful to chase the pin holes to get ride of sawdust and oil, I missed the middle barrel lug hole and blew out a piece of maple tapping the pin through. No excuse for it. Was able to patch it but I know it’s there. Anyway live and learn. I’ve been posting the build process every few days on the “What Muzzleloading Stuff did you do today” thread. Figured we already had enough separate SMR build threads.
Dang that’s beautiful work. Love the SMR style, and you’ve a right to be proud. Congrats!

Looks great TDM. Did you use Aqua Fortis on the wood followed by stain, then finish? Like the color. Prefer wood of that color vs blond, bright red, and/or really dark red. If you used a stain, what did you use? I refinished my '74 era TC Hawken once upon a time and used some of Brownell's powdered wood stains mixed with water. Resulting color similar to your wood. Still have the powdered stains, but unable to locate the exact ratio I used. Of Couse that was applied to walnut, I'm going to be starting my Kibler SMR soon and would like the same/near color or as yours is. Have the Fancy maple for the SMR.

Last edited:
Looks great TDM. Did you use Aqua Fortis on the wood followed by stain, then finish? Like the color. Prefer wood of that color vs blond, bright red, and/or really dark red. If you used a stain, what did you use? I refinished my '74 era TC Hawken once upon a time and used some of Brownell's powdered wood stains mixed with water. Resulting color similar to your wood. Still have the powdered stains, but unable to locate the exact ratio I used. Of Couse that was applied to walnut, I'm going to be starting my Kibler SMR soon and would like the same/near color or as yours is. Have the X Fancy maple for the SMR.
Thanks. I did 2 coats of iron nitrate and 4 coats of Tried & True oil varnish. Pretty much just followed the advice in Kibler’s videos. Plan on 24-48 dry times on each coat of T&T. It rubs and buffs out nicely when dry.

Back