• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finished My SMR Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That rifle looks terrific! Very strong work, my friend.

I also like the metal as you have it. With use, time, and natural oxidation, it will take on a color of its own, which I think would be hard to duplicate in the shop.

Man, that's a good looking rifle!

Notchy Bob

Really nice.

And the way I see it, if you shoot it it's going to get some marks. A year from now you won't even remember that little splinter.
You’re right, but I got pretty miffed this morning. As careful as I was I still put about 1/2 dozen little dents and marks on the wood. But yes, after a few shooting sessions I’ll forget about them since they’ll be plenty more.

Looks great. I love the finish on the metal. Don't fret about the pin hole mistake. We've all done it. I learned to use a finger drill to clean the pin holes out which helps avoid that issue. Regardless you fixed it and now you have a beautiful rifle.

Looks great. I love the finish on the metal. Don't fret about the pin hole mistake. We've all done it. I learned to use a finger drill to clean the pin holes out which helps avoid that issue. Regardless you fixed it and now you have a beautiful rifle.
That is a very good tip. I used the drill that Jim sent and slowly inserted while turning it backwards, always to a depth just past the barrel lug and repeat the same from the opposite side. Backward rotation also while withdrawing the drill bit is much less likely to “catch” the outside edge of the stock and cause damage. Also be sure to slightly round or chamfer the pin tips, both sides and wax
with paraffin or beeswax.

That is a very good tip. I used the drill that Jim sent and slowly inserted while turning it backwards, always to a depth just past the barrel lug and repeat the same from the opposite side. Backward rotation also while withdrawing the drill bit is much less likely to “catch” the outside edge of the stock and cause damage. Also be sure to slightly round or chamfer the pin tips, both sides and wax
with paraffin or beeswax.
That’s what I used, the collet is perfect for that. As long as you don’t miss holes.

That looks great! Nice job! I can’t hardly wait till my Woodsrunner gets here.

Back