• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finished my Coehorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought the barrel about a month ago, and finally finished it. It's golf ball bore. The barrel is properly chambered. The bed is 1x4 oak boards laminated together. The through-bolts are 3/8 inch threaded rods. Handles are cast iron. The steel Fox balls weigh about a pound each. I haven't shot it yet, these are the "glamor shots".
Thanks for looking.
JeffG
thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg

Square head bolts and nuts, cast iron handles, EXCELLENT!
That's a good looking piece! I'll join the video request crowd. This one is going to need more than just pictures!
Have you worked out what you intend to use as a charge for those steel balls?
Have you worked out a potential landing zone for them?
This one is going to be FUN.

What, pray tell, is a 'Fox' steel ball and where can I get some for my 2" bore Coehorn?
Beautiful job on your Coehorn; I would not have thought of laminating 1" boards. I built one once using 2 pieces of 6X6 oak, turned out nice. I need to build a base for my present barrel. Thanks for your inspiration!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Years ago, I made a connection with cannoneers on another forum, we made a group buy of steel balls. It appears that resource has dried up. I bought a bucket of 50 of them, and needless to say, I recover as many as I can. 😉 I found with my Dahlgren and howitzer, if you drive regular golf balls too hard they are like driving a VW bug at 180 mph, the go all over the place. 🙄
I am going to start with 100 grains for a 300 yard range, and see what happens. I might not see that one again....

Fox balls

This is a good link for zic balls...
Rotometals cannon balls

21314788_1219091934862586_8681796274269966096_n.jpgIMG_0085.JPG

Back