• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finished matchlock pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
22fowl said:
That's Pretty Neat!..Will you take it hunting?

I plan on working up a turkey load and using it this spring. I’ll also try it deer hunting if I get the chance. A 600 grain ball moving at any speed should make an impact. I think one could throw the ball hard enough to do some damage.

Okawabow, that's a beautiful piece. I hope you are planing on head shots, a 600 grain ball hitting a turkey anywhere else would only leave you with feathers. :grin:

2 ounces of #6 shot in a 48” barrel should give me a good pattern at 25 yards, I hope. I’ll try the load with the thick lubed wad on top of the shot. I’ve been using it in my 12 gauge for a couple years with good results on turkeys.

I got to go to the range today, but some how managed to leave out the bag that had my match cord in it.

Not wanting to totally waste the time and miles to the range, I used a long necked gas lighter to set off the gun. I managed a half dozen shots with the lighter.

The shots with ball grouped about 4 inches at 25 yards, as I was filing the sights after each shot to get the gun on target. I was using 70 grains 2f Grafs, and a small wad of tow under the ball. I also used a little tow over the ball. The shot produced a nice "crack", so the velocity was fair.

I also managed a pattern shot with 70 gr. 2f and 1 1/2 oz #6 shot, again at 25 yards. I used powder, 1 over powder wad, shot, 1 over shot thin card, and a greased fiber wad over that. Here is the pattern. Encouraging so far.

2018matchlock by okawbow, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with that shot pattern...

are you using a steel rod for front sight?
Matchlocks are new to me..

Next time try your boot laces for match cord.. :rotf:

I remembered the match cord today and had a good shooting session. In about 20 shots, the gun fired fast, every time, with no misfires. My homemade cord seemed to burn too fast, but maybe not. I usually got about 4 shots off with a 5" long piece of cord.

My 25 yard target with ball, was encouraging. The circle is 2 1/2". I used 70 grains 2F Grafs powder.
Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

My 25 yard 1 5/8 oz #6 shot load with 80 grains 2f Grafs was even, but I only got 4 killing hits, but 2 in the brain. He would have been very dead.

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

Colorado Clyde said:
Looks like it will make a god deer rifle :thumbsup:
I think so, if I can get used to carrying around a lit match. The group opened up to about 6” at 50 yards, but still should put one in the boiler room of a deer. I’m sure I can improve a little on group size, also. So far, I’ve only tried .735 balls with tow wadding. Could be a thin patch, or a wad under the ball will group better. I’ll try more and less powder also.

I’ll also try a paper shot cup for my turkey load.

The barrel loads very nice. The bore is smooth and consistent all the way down. I used high pressure hydraulic cylinder tube that has a very accurate and smooth bore surface. It is normalized and annealed to provide a very stable finished barrel that doesn’t move when it heats up.

okawbow said:
My homemade cord seemed to burn too fast, but maybe not. I usually got about 4 shots off with a 5" long piece of cord.
Glad you got her out shooting!

FWIW the matchcord that I buy from a guy noted for making matchcord ”˜times’ it that it burns at the rate of about 1-inch in 9-minutes, if that helps you out at all.

Link = http://www.metamuseum.com/us/slowmatch/Index.cfm?F=E44

His website is a great resouce for us “brothers of the slow match”!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my cord by hand braiding 3 strands of 1/8” 4 ply jute cord from Walmart and soaking it in water with a couple tablespoons of black powder mixed in, for an hour or two, then drying flat. It lights easily and burns well without spitting. I’d estimate that it burns about 1” every 5 minutes.

okawbow said:
I made my cord by hand braiding 3 strands of 1/8” 4 ply jute cord from Walmart and soaking it in water with a couple tablespoons of black powder mixed in, for an hour or two, then drying flat. It lights easily and burns well without spitting. I’d estimate that it burns about 1” every 5 minutes.
I’ll have to try that recipe & method - thank you sir!

Mine also burns about an inch in 5 minutes Oakabow.
Have made it with gunpowder and also just with wood ashes.

Took my new short snapping matchlock out last season, and Did get within 50 yard range of a nice buck, but he was hidden behind an awful lot of spruce branches. could just see him, but nothing much to shoot at. He knew something was up and stood V still, me moving may match ahead from time to time.
Anyway, "whilst attending to my match" he crossed the only clear bit!...just saw his backside as he disappeared again!
Mebbe Next year!

Latest posts

Back