• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finished matchlock pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okawbow:

Very nice work! :bow:

Glad to see she is a good shooter as well! May she give you many years of fun!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I shot the matchlock again yesterday. Tried 80 grains of Old Eynsford 1 1/2 F powder. Used a .735 ball with a very thin patch from a old dress shirt.

I hit the middle of a 6” round steel target 3 straight times at 50yards. Should be a good deer gun. My 20 yard groups were also very good with no fliers. Best of all, the gun loaded easily every shot without wiping between shots. Used Balistol mix for lube.

I used wet lube because I forgot to bring my loading rod and jag. I used the wood rod on the gun and the ball pushed down easily once it was started.

I think the Old Eynsford 1 1/2f burned cleaner than the 2f Grafs and 1f unknown brand powder I had tried before. Very little fowling and cleaned up easily.

i just bought my slow match from PIRATE FASHIONS in FLORIDA for $5.00 for 5 feet of it. it is fantastic. it catches a spark from my flint and steel first time every time. i highly recommend them.

Has anyone tried making homemade match with Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)? I'm not a matchlock shooter (yet) but have a lot of experience with combustible revolver cartridges using powdered KNO3. How about soaking the cord in a solution of it. I recall reading that's how it was historically made.

i just bought my slow match from PIRATE FASHIONS in FLORIDA for $5.00 for 5 feet of it. it is fantastic. it catches a spark from my flint and steel first time every time. i highly recommend them.

I drove by their store the other day but they're only open Fri-Sat. I've been wanting to check them out for several months.

i went to an antique shop the other day and found a hank of old cotton clothesline with out a poly center. took it home took a plastic zip lock bag put into it 3 tbl spoons of 3fg real black powder and filled it with hot water just enough to completely cover the cotton line and let it set for 2 hours, took it out laid it on news paper until it was thoroughly dry and lit an end with a fireplace lighter and got a good char, put it out and struck it with flint & steel and it caught a spark first strike. so give it a try.

PIRATE FASHIONS are rely great people to deal with.i dealt with MICHEAL over the phone.

Enfieldguy:

Has anyone tried making homemade match with Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)? I'm not a matchlock shooter (yet) but have a lot of experience with combustible revolver cartridges using powdered KNO3. How about soaking the cord in a solution of it. I recall reading that's how it was historically made.

Yes, I use Potassium Nitrate and hemp cord to make my slowmatch. It burns pretty hot too. I made a video of how I make it on Youtube. Hope it helps!

I rely like it , it looks like a piece of furniture, yes that good. I may have missed it but what is the caliber?

Flint62Smoothie, thanks for the site on making slow match from wood ashes.

Very nice build and shooting results Oakabow! You should be well equipped for hunting now. :)
Slow match, Re wood ashes;
I've just boiled up hemp cord in wood ashes and it seems to work fine.
Same with a hand-full of gunpowder in a gallon or so of water.
I got my hemp cord from Susan Wallace, at Silver shuttle TN, But! was recently told she no longer stocks it. (Came in 110 yard balls and I got a few)
All best,
Richard.

Latest posts

Back