• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Lancaster build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey great ideal and I am left handed, might as well send it to me, I can give it a good home. Like I said great looking rifle ya done well pilgrim.

Just finished my version of Lancaster 50 cal build. Swamped barrel; double trigger; handmade patch box, little carving; silver inlay; rusted the barrel and filed the bolt heads. It’s my first built; I’m ready to burn some powder and make some smoke. Also found time to make a powder horn with my wife’s scrimshaw work. Enjoy; CheersView attachment 68537View attachment 68538
Fine job! Did you start from a stock blank or a partially inlet kit? Nice work on the horn too.

You are partially correct; I’m an engineer; have read several books, learned a lot from YouTube watching Bill Raby, Tim Adlam did my engravings, the rest is mine. It’s not perfect, and I will build something else. Thanks for everyone’s kind words. Excited to shoot it and continue to learn, I’ve got a few more things to figure out. View attachment 68567
I figured you might be an engineer. You studied the theory of the build by reading the books. Observed the practice by watching the videos. And recognized that when your skill level wasn't sufficient, you outsourced for the engraving. I think the carving is first rate.

While I might quibble that the lock panels are too wide, they are not out of bounds for some original builds. Everything else that was done deserves the accolades that we are giving you.

Amazing job. Did you rust brown the Lock?
Yes; rust brown everything, followed Bill Raby video from his Lancaster built; took almost 2 weeks of building up the finish. Used an upstairs bathroom with steam from shower for moisture. It’s really durable and very flat finish. Only thing I didn’t do was the frizzen spring.

Yes; rust brown everything, followed Bill Raby video from his Lancaster built; took almost 2 weeks of building up the finish. Used an upstairs bathroom with steam from shower for moisture. It’s really durable and very flat finish. Only thing I didn’t do was the frizzen spring.
5799EBE6-CBE1-46EC-A0E0-AEA394AD9DB1.jpeg

Just finished my version of Lancaster 50 cal build. Swamped barrel; double trigger; handmade patch box, little carving; silver inlay; rusted the barrel and filed the bolt heads. It’s my first built; I’m ready to burn some powder and make some smoke. Also found time to make a powder horn with my wife’s scrimshaw work. Enjoy; CheersView attachment 68537View attachment 68538
Wow! Beautiful!!!! And a lefty too. Ohhh... make one for me also.

Oh, my! Breatless... in awe... Seriously, that rifle is such a work of art, I had 3 reactions:
1. It's so unerring beaytiful, as I stared at her lines, I began drooling out both sides o' me mouth and near 'bout wet me britches!
2. I wanted to throw that crippled piece of junque out in the driveway
(the one I bought for a King's Ransom from a lad who shall not be named here again), and run over it repeatedly with my truck, but, having no truck, wanted to go out and BUY a truck just so's I COULD run over it. But then,
3. Noting that Russsnapperhead had built his Mastrpiece wrong-side-outwards and bass ackwards, I relented on 1 & 2 and decided to make peace with my Ugly Duckling.
- LongJnSilver -

"The grass is always greener--'till you take a bite." - Confucius
20210223_125516.jpg

Looks amazing you have a talent for this.

Where did you learn to carve? If that is your first time, bravo! I can't bring myself to do anything but the basic necessities on a rifle.
Those panels are extremely wide, but the rest is excellent!

Back