• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished First Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas10c

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally finished my first horn. It was a learning experience and I wanted to thank everyone who gave pointers and suggestions along the way. I dedicated it to my son, who loves to hunt and fish and is my outdoors companion. The map is of our county from an 1800 map I found at the local historical society. The plug is oak that I hand cut, shaped and sanded to fit and has 2 coats of Chmabers finish on it. The tack I made from an old nail that I cut, bent and then sharpened. I just finished sealing it with melted beeswax that I am going to buff as soon as it finishes setting up some more.

Here are some pics....

3233003452_c56327339a.jpg

3233002664_81a4f5bbed.jpg

3233002498_cef3ee5757.jpg

3233002970_c8ffe57c0b.jpg

3233002364_de0aecfa1f.jpg

You have taken some natural talent and advise and made a very unique horn. Well done! :thumbsup:

Good job on your first horn! :thumbsup:
Now ya need to do another. You can't make just one horn... :)
Scott

Already planning the next one. It will be for my dad who served 2 tours in Vietnam in choppers then switched to being a Coastie for the remainder of his 30 years before retiring. Kinda makes my 8 years (USAF)seem like not much. I'm trying to figure out how to combine his AC wings, CIB and a pic of his rescue boat onto the horn.

I can't get to Dixons anytime soon...what is another good source of horns?

Bob, I have a couple of horns up here that are around 8-9 inches long. Your welcome to them. I won't have time to mess with them for quite a while.

Bill

Very nice work your son must be very proud.

In the first picture Harvey's Lake jumped out at me, then Tunkhannock. Then I had to look at your location. I used to live in Sayre in Bradford County and flew and drove all over that area almost every day. I flew for Guthrie One at the time.

I like your use of the map where you hunt on the horn.

Vietnam helicopter pilot dittos to you and your dad.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my first horn. It was a lot of fun to do.

BiilD, I'll give you a call about the horns and next weekend in Lewsiburg.

Magumba, I'm glad someone else recognized the area. I used to run with Dallas FD and used you many times to help really injured people with EMS.

Glad I be of help. I have a lot of resect for the work the fire fighters and EMS guys do. All of it on your own time and often using your own vehicles to get to the accident.
I landed at Harvey's Lake a few times, also at the prison twice, Back Mountain many times, the wide valley where Rt 309 and Rt 29 meet a few times too.
Really great craftsmanship on your horn.

Back