• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished at long last...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
...my ideal flintlock rifle. I started this just about a year ago from a Dunlap Isaac Haines kit. I put a lot of thought and tried several rifles to get familiar with their characteristics before deciding on the basics. It's a .50 with a 38" Rice barrel, Chambers Deluxe Siler lock and Davis triggers. It gives me the combination of barrel length, balance, weight, and overall versatility for caliber that I like best.

I used pictures of several Woodbury style rifles as inspiration in finding designs and trim that I liked, most particularly this one from Steve Davis (Steve Davis) and this one from Ian Pratt (Google Image Result for https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/uploads/6/0/4/7/60477191/copy-2-of-img-3516-1_orig.jpg). Now, they're both master builders, and this is only my second build. So, I'll just say that I did the best I could and accept that execution of many small details is less-than-awesome. But, the while turned out greater than the sum of the parts, thankfully.

For the finish, I did AF followed by red mahogany stain and then rubbed back and sanded in 1 coat of tru oil and hand rubbed in 2 more. The metal is done with Birchwood Casey Brass Black.

Thanks to several folks here who gave me great guidance on shaping the stock, trigger issues, and patchbox closure. I might try my hand someday at engraving, but for now I'm just happy it's ready to go.
20211114_095711.jpg
20211114_095718.jpg

20211114_095746.jpg
20211114_095804.jpg

Well done!! I love the feathers on the end of the check piece!!

Thanks. That was the part that grabbed my attention most off of the Davis rifle in that first link. While scroll-based designs are pretty, they've never quite been something I get really excited about. I didn't execute the feathers as cleanly as Steve, but I really liked his idea. He was a family friend for several years, and I got to handle several of his rifles during that time. I don't think I saw that one in person, but they all had a similar approach.

Back