• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finish not as good now

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Myers

32 Cal
Reaction score
this past weekend i put finish on my rifle (AQUA FORTIS) and really liked the outcome of it. I then put tried and true oil varnish thinned with thinner and the first coat went on great. Soaked up alot and then i let it dry. ( with this weather i never thought it would.) Sunday night i put another coat very thin after wiskering it. Yesteday i looked at it and it was stil a little tacky. I suppose it was because the weather and humidity not drying enough. Well 48 hours later (this afternoon) it stll feels tacky to the touch. Have i done something incorrectly or does it needs more time to dry? Do i need to thin out the oil each time? Any help is much appreciated as usuall.

I actually helped out the speed of the process I put a fan on it several feet away to try to help with the humidity and the airflow seems to be doing well. Thk u for replying

When the humidity is high I often run a fan over projects to speed up drying varnishes and oil finishes on wooden items I make.

Thank you all. I have done almost all ofvt hff e suggestons except wipe off excess. Thin coats with a fan on it which helps. And waiting extra time

What happened was you applied your 2nd coat before the first was completely cured which seals it in and slows the curing process down to a crawl. Adding thinner doesn't speed up the curing process, I think it slows it down. I experienced the same thing on a Kibler stock. I added thinner to T&T thinking it would act as a dryer. I applied the first coat and it seemed like the wood just drank it,.so I applied another coat then it just would not dry, and stayed tacky for days. I ran out and bought fans and a dehumidifier and it took several days to finally cure in my shop and for the tackiness to go away. Once it finally dried with all my fans buzzing away I applied a very very thin layer of pure T&T, and I mean thin like maybe a quarter teaspoon rubbed across the entire stock, then I placed the stock in a west facing window and sealed it with one of those reflective emergency blankets you can buy for a buck. With sun, high heat and dry air it dried in a day. I continued to add another very thin layer, put it in my drying chamber and dry it in a day,.repeat the process.
Low humidity, Sun and Heat are the only way to go with Tried & True Oil Varnish. And you must wait until it is completely cured or it takes forever to dry.

It’s the UV light from the sun that cures the finish, not the heat. Drying in the sun outside will be faster because window glass will cut the UV rays to some extent.

In which case a blacklight or other UV source (would need to be putting out the Just Right wavelenth(s)) could also speed up the process.

My heat and sun box approach works well for me. I can't believe that heat has no factor in the curing process. In my experience BLO dries faster in my shop when it's warm.

Latest posts

Back