• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finger Weaving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I'd try my hand at finger weaving. If this turns out, it will be one of a pair of garters. If it doesn't turn out, it'll be just another pile of yarn. :haha:
1eacdb24227e839175df741a40af39f8.jpg

Finger weaving is a time consuming art form. Time is spent keeping the loose ends untangled. The results can be quite striking.
Horns.jpg

The top strap is conventional loom weaving. The bottom strap is finger woven. Wool and natural dyes. It takes about an hour or more per diamond for the garter width tape. I forgot how many strings of yarn I used. Plan to start from the middle.

Finger weaving is most often associated with Native American craft and not often seen as part of a colonial outfit. I went back to buckled leather leg garters as the long end of my finger woven garters got tangled up in the brush and brambles.

Enjoy your project.

It will come out just fine! I just finished a chevron shoulder strap for one of my Jägers out of some really tough hemp yarn I picked up from Susan Wallace probably 12 years ago! Good tough stuff that will handle the elements.

Oh that "decorate your hat thread" forced me to make a simple chevron hat band out of same material for my 20 y o formerly three-cornered, now flat semi-brimmed hat.

Happy weaving
LN

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm using an oblique weave. I thought it would be the easiest to start out with. I'm going for a First Nations Great Lakes French Canadian look. It appears as though there was quite a bit of activity throughout the 18th century between where I live and Kaskaskia, or Detroit for example.

Oblique is easy and durable! Great way to start out and get your "sea legs". Keep us updated on progress.

I went out with my old childhood compadre last Thursday night to attempt to ambush this big sow that's been in his pasture. No luck. But I did pack the Jäger with new strap. Worked great!

Exercise patience... I usually weave between drumming at powwows. It's very time consuming and takes allot of patience to produce a first class piece. Loose weaving is useless, use good 100% wool yarn as it has a natural tendency to "cling" upon itself which allows the tight weave needed. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Crewdawg445 said:
Exercise patience... I usually weave between drumming at powwows. It's very time consuming and takes allot of patience to produce a first class piece. Loose weaving is useless, use good 100% wool yarn as it has a natural tendency to "cling" upon itself which allows the tight weave needed. Good luck! :thumbsup:
Good advice. I'm pretty certain I've gotten some yarn that qualifies. And patience indeed! It took me near two hours this evening after supper to weave two inches. And that includes the number of times I had to unweave my work because I goofed up the pattern. :haha:

This took longer than I thought it would. I had to start over a few times. :haha: They're good enough to wear, but the unevenness of the weave bothers me a bit. Eh well....there's always the next project.

Cruzatte said:
This took longer than I thought it would. I had to start over a few times. :haha: They're good enough to wear, but the unevenness of the weave bothers me a bit. Eh well....there's always the next project.
Do not despair, like any art form, it will improve with practice and study.

I wonder if this might make it a bit easier. I know that with my arthritic fingers I would need something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkbXitpugjQ

My grandmother used to do something similar to this but she called it "tatting". She used a thread spool with small nails stuck in the top of her spool where this lady uses popsicle sticks glued to the side of a toilet paper spool. Grandma used thread rather than yarn and a crochet needle to handle the thread. The tools seem similar but I don't know if the product was the same with the exception of grandma's being finer due to her using thread rather than yarn.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty interesting, for sure. There is however one little thing that I couldn't quite put together from the video. How would you make a powder horn strap or sash for that matter that would be about four or five times wider than the example in the video? Use a paper towel tube, or a mailing tube? Eh.....maybe not. :idunno:

Cruzatte said:
That was pretty interesting, for sure. There is however one little thing that I couldn't quite put together from the video. How would you make a powder horn strap or sash for that matter that would be about four or five times wider than the example in the video? Use a paper towel tube, or a mailing tube? Eh.....maybe not. :idunno:

While I have never tried anything like this, it looks like you could use any size tube and the number of pegs could be any even number that you choose. However many pegs you chose, the weaving procedure would be the same. It appears that you would end up with a tube but you would then mash it flat to form a strap....or so I would guess. Another idea that just came to me is to use a board with dowels set in the edge sort of like fingers. It would be like having a hand of infinite length and infinite number of fingers. You could use as long of a board as you wished with as many pegs as you wished and just use the finger weaving technique to form a flat piece of woven material rather than a tube. Just an idea. Give it a try, make a short piece and see what you get. If it works out to your satisfaction, make a strap of whatever width and length you like. If you give it a try, let us know how it worked for you.

When I bought my yarn, I went to a shop that specializes in yarn, weaving, spinning, and fiber arts generally. The sales clerk I spoke with asked what I planned to do. I replied that I was interested in finger weaving. She said "Oh, my husband is interested in that." And what was I going to make? I said maybe a guitar strap, or a belt, or maybe a total mess resulting in a pile of tangled yarn.

As to using thick, heavy yarn, I can certainly see your point. Question is what do we mean by "thick"? Definition of terms is pretty important. I guess I hang out with too many lawyers. :haha:
Anyhow, I hope the next project turns out better.

I made myself an Inkle loom and I love the way the straps come out! Downside is then you have a loom. Mine was small and fit on the table in front of me when I was watching the boob tube. and its way easy to make nice patterns.

So far all I have made was a powder horn strap but I liked it. I used 100% wool yarn.

While the "Inkle" Loom was not brought to America until the 1900's (as far as I have searched) woven tapes and straps have been around for lots longer done on other types of looms that give the same result. Linen would be most appropriate with wool or hemp next and Cotton last depending on the time frame you are portraying.

I'm sure more research has been done as to the HC of the Inkle loom, so others may chime in.

Back