• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finger in the trigger guard on single action revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for no longer living here.

Thank you for showing us what happens when the losers win,emotion over comes common sense and diversity means an Member of Parliament cannot differentiate between left and right shoes.

The free World thanks you.

-SNIP-
Whatever we call them, what we DON'T want is N.D's so for a HAMMER-COCKED revolver it does make sense to keep the trigger finger out of the guard (that's why it was called that!!!!) until the revolver is pointed in a safe direction.
When I am shooting a single action revolver, and the hammer is down on an empty chamber, I would never cock it until it was pointed in a safe direction and I was ready to fire it. And I would never cock the hammer to fire the revolver until my finger was inside the trigger guard, but off the trigger. IMHO, transitioning my finger from outside to inside the trigger guard while the hammer is fully cocked is dumb, dangerous and more likely to cause a negligent discharge than having that finger inside and off the trigger before it's ever cocked.

This is how I have always fired my single action revolvers and I've never had a single complaint from any of the many range officers I've known and worked with. In fact, I can remember seeing anyone at the firing line cock their single action revolver with the finger still outside the trigger guard. If your personal range wouldn't allow this or the range you officer on wouldn't allow such, rather than call you an idiot, I would simply smile and leave.

Frankly, I'm sorry I brought the question up, because I think some who have replied "not on my range!" aren't even reading my question or understanding what I am asking. Maybe it's just me. But I'm not talking about quick draw, twirling a pistol or running around the range pointing a loaded gun in unsafe directions with my finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard. And I am definitely not trying to invalidate Jeff Cooper's most excellent RULE #3. Or any of his fine other rules.

Here is a recent video of Mike Beliveau (Dulist1954) on YouTube firing an original Colt 1851 revolver. As you notice his finger is inside the trigger guard before he even cocks the hammer for the first round, and his finger doesn't come out as he recocks and empties the pistol. This is what I am talking about.

If you still insist that how Mike and I handle a single action revolver is somehow danger, I will bow to your greater wisdom and will consider this discussion a horse sufficiently whipped and dead.

Here is a recent video of Mike Beliveau (Dulist1954) on YouTube firing an original Colt 1851 revolver. As you notice his finger is inside the trigger guard before he even cocks the hammer for the first round, and his finger doesn't come out as he recocks and empties the pistol. This is what I am talking about.
However, that is not what you stated in your original post:

I've always picked them up with a finger inside the trigger guard. Often with my thumb against the hammer to boot.
If you look at the sequence beginning at 0.24 in the above video, you will see that as Mike draws from his holster he has his finger outside the trigger guard. As he comes up to aim he moves it inside.

When I am shooting a single action revolver, and the hammer is down on an empty chamber, I would never cock it until it was pointed in a safe direction and I was ready to fire it. And I would never cock the hammer to fire the revolver until my finger was inside the trigger guard, but off the trigger. IMHO, transitioning my finger from outside to inside the trigger guard while the hammer is fully cocked is dumb, dangerous and more likely to cause a negligent discharge than having that finger inside and off the trigger before it's ever cocked.

This is how I have always fired my single action revolvers and I've never had a single complaint from any of the many range officers I've known and worked with. In fact, I can remember seeing anyone at the firing line cock their single action revolver with the finger still outside the trigger guard. If your personal range wouldn't allow this or the range you officer on wouldn't allow such, rather than call you an idiot, I would simply smile and leave.

Frankly, I'm sorry I brought the question up, because I think some who have replied "not on my range!" aren't even reading my question or understanding what I am asking. Maybe it's just me. But I'm not talking about quick draw, twirling a pistol or running around the range pointing a loaded gun in unsafe directions with my finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard. And I am definitely not trying to invalidate Jeff Cooper's most excellent RULE #3. Or any of his fine other rules.

If you still insist that how Mike and I handle a single action revolver is somehow danger, I will bow to your greater wisdom and will consider this discussion a horse sufficiently whipped and dead.
I agree with you. You are pointing down range and ready to fire your finger can be inside trigger guard. Just like IPSC….it has to go in there eventually doesn’t it?

Back