• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finding Good Flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition to TOTW and Stonewall Creek Outfitters, I'll recommend Heritage Products. I use both black English and French Amber, and buy them by the dozen(s).

I'm trying to figure out the math to calculate how many flints are in 16 1/2 feet . . . . .

Is that laying them side by side or end to end?

Zonie said:
You folks who are using some sort of grinding wheel to remove humps and lumps, be sure to wear some sort of good air filter mask over your nose and mouth.

The dust made by the grinder can cause some serious lung problems if you breath it in.

These air filter masks are available at almost any good hardware store and they don't cost much so don't skimp on your health. Buy some and use them.

what he said!

I've never found the paper "nuisance masks" to be of much use, but if you shop around, you can get a mask which will cover your nose and mouth, with a decent set of filters, for under fifty bucks. The filters are easily replaceable, and not very expensive.

Started using a mask whenever I was in my shop - wood turning and sanding, and anything which kicked up a lot of dust. The persistent winter cough simply didn't kick in.

Nice to be able to breathe again ... and smell stuff.

My paternal grandmother dies of emphysema ... rather an unpleasant way to go, in my opinion.

either Im getting picky in my old age but I only found 4 good flint at Kalamazoo this year

True, but if you break off enough pieces from a node you will end up with a few that will work. I know because I have one in my 36 right now that has been good enough for a over a dozen shots so far. :idunno:

Oh contra r, they are easily made from throw away chert chips and flakes left over from point knapping and a few simple home made tools. Actually a deer antler tine and baseball size hammer stone will do the trick with a little instruction and practice.
Here is one made from a piece of Texas chert.

These are a mix of home ground ,flat TOTW English (dark)flints and chert chips and flakes (light color).

I found it as easy to make my own as to grind the ones I was buying and they seemed to work as good and last longer.
The size on these is 5/8s inch wide by 3/4s inch long for the small locks on my flint pistols.
Just as easy to make them a bit larger for the bigger locks.

I've always been fascinated with flint knapping.
Of course, down here in Florida...we don't have much in the way of suitable material to start with so I'd be ordering Spalls from out of state. :thumbsup:
Looking at the videos online, and watching some live demonstrations I've seen at Friendship... :hmm: I'm pretty sure I that if I spent a day working hard at it, I could turn a $20.00 black English spall into one, or possibly even two good rifle flints..!! :rotf:

I will say it is rewarding to fire the flintlocks with flints that I made from local flint picked up in my back yard or the local area. I have a bucket of miscellaneous pieces in the garage just waiting to be become sparkers.

Recently I’ve been buying English gun flints from Neolithics @ $1.50 to $1.75 each in bulk, for medium/large rifle to fowler and larger arm flint sizes. As an added bonus, they arrive with all ”˜humps’ ground off!

They make not look as nice ”˜in appearance’ as a well-knapped English flint by Tom Fuller ... but I’ve noticed an increase in # of shots whilst using them - rifle & fowler.
http://www.neolithics.com/gun-flints-bigger/

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have had excellent luck with Neolithics English flints. Ground flat so they clamp nicely. Mine are rather thick which I like in my TC locks. Bevel down sets the edge of the flint higher without shimming.
I know some guys like thinner flints.
Take care
Ed

Back