• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finding caps in Vegas is a pain, plus no good muzzle loading stores here anymore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GomezMunoz1951

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I went out looking for anything muzzle loading and after visiting several gunshops, finally hit pay dirt at one shop, they used to carry bp but haven't had any in months. I did ask if they had any #10 or #11 caps. They dropped 5 tins of musket caps and charged me $8 a tin, plus they threw in a half a tin of musket caps for free. I jumped on it. Several of my rifles can use the musket nipples so now I am ready on that front. Still cannot find any #10 or 11 caps for a reasonable price. There hasn't been a good muzzle loading store here since Ray's Beaver Bag closed.

Musket caps are your friend! I managed to stock up on musket caps when the local Wally World decided they didn't want them anymore; Get this, I put a big pile on layaway due to being in a pinch; a couple of weeks later I went back to get them and the price had dropped, and Wal-Mart gave me the discount on my caps in layaway! Never heard of such! Anyway, I have a Zouave carbine and a couple of other guns (shotgun and rifle) I can convert to musket caps by changing the nipple and they work fine. Easier to handle, and the CCI's winged caps seem less powerful than I remember years ago when my brother used them in his CW musket. I still have a large ammo box full of tins. Good shooting, Geo.

As local shops stop carrying black powder and supplies it leaves ordering from larger suppliers in bulk as the only option.Find others to go in with and place your order as needed.

Musket caps are your friend! I managed to stock up on musket caps when the local Wally World decided they didn't want them anymore; Get this, I put a big pile on layaway due to being in a pinch; a couple of weeks later I went back to get them and the price had dropped, and Wal-Mart gave me the discount on my caps in layaway! Never heard of such! Anyway, I have a Zouave carbine and a couple of other guns (shotgun and rifle) I can convert to musket caps by changing the nipple and they work fine. Easier to handle, and the CCI's winged caps seem less powerful than I remember years ago when my brother used them in his CW musket. I still have a large ammo box full of tins. Good shooting, Geo.
A Zouave Carbine?? By any chance is that a Buffalo Hunter by Navy Arms? That is what I have... I love it and it is one awesome shooter. I put a tang sight on it since my old eyes are a bit hard to see things... I love it. I have both the musket nipple and the regular "cap" nipple in the patch box.

As local shops stop carrying black powder and supplies it leaves ordering from larger suppliers in bulk as the only option.Find others to go in with and place your order as needed.
Looks like I am going to have to go that way. I think there is a Buckskinning group here and I am going to contact them and see if something can be worked out. I also know there is a group of CW re-enactors here too. Man I miss Ray's Beaver Bag...

After putting the appropriate nipple on my Hawken, I found musket caps to be an acceptable alternative. Ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do. :thumb:

A Zouave Carbine?? By any chance is that a Buffalo Hunter by Navy Arms? That is what I have... I love it and it is one awesome shooter. I put a tangg sight on it since my old eyes are a bit hard to see things... I love it. I have both the musket nipple and the regular "cap" nipple in the patch box.

Hi, Gomez, I customized my Zouave by cutting off 7 inches off the barrel, it now has a 26 inch barrel, like some of the 'Artillery' CW artillery carbines, very handy. I also had to trim the stock and re-install the front barrel band and keeper spring. I also installed a homemade brass front sight.

BassPros and Sportsmans Warehouse is about it there. Accuracy use to carry a good supply including powder but they got rid of all BP stuff some time ago. Seems like most stores went they way of the black guns.

Back