• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally success with my Kibler!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out back at first light this morning as I didn't want to waste my time looking for squirrels where they aint. I have had a heck of a time trying to even find any this winter. Anyway, I seen one go up a little hickory about 35 yards out. He got to the first limb and started on his breakfast. I put the sight on his jaw, set the back trigger and squeezed the front trigger telling myself all the while to not pick my head up at the shot. When the smoke cleared, I seen him hanging by one foot and then finally fell.
This may not seem like a great success to most, but to me, it was, as I have had a rough time trying to overcome that "new to me" flash. I knew the gun shot great because I could do it well off of a bench but I just couldn't put it together off the bench. I put this hunt right up there at the top of my list.
I decided to not push my luck so I picked him up, took a few pics to share, went home, cleaned the gun and hung it up. Thanks for looking!

.40 Kibler Southern Mtn. Rifle. Patched roundball with mink oil lube and 27 grains fffg

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Congrats on a fine hunt and a beautiful rifle. Here in our Connecticut woods, acorns and beechnuts are far and few between this year, so I hear what your saying about not seeing any squirrels. I only see them in the backyard as my wife maintains several bird feeders all year. The deer were pretty scarce as well.

Aim for the jaw. Hit the jaw. You're going to do just fine. Finer than fine. I pity the squirrels in your area.

I knew that the gun would hit where it was supposed to if I could just get out of its way and let it. It was nice to see it all come together for sure. I decided that this is the only gun that I am going to use until I can consistently do this. Squirrel hunting is the reason that I bought it after all and I can't stand the fact that form is the problem. Still got lots of work to do but I think I am finally seeing some light thanks to some help from this site, no doubt. I appreciate the encouragement and intend to get consistent with it.

Back