• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

finally over the kung fu flu got out my 54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
shot one of my .54's today. 60 yards off hand trying different thickness of patches and different lube. despite shaking like a doberman passing a peach pit from being sick for 3 weeks with the kung fu flu, i hit the target . mostly.
grin

used .530 ball. a bore butter saturated .0120 patch first. those were the ones on the cardboard.
next i used pillow ticking patch .0175 soaked in my mouth while pouring powder. Those are the ones in the 6 inch black. Shows promise. i think when i am stronger i will be able to shrink that spread.
The thing that has me mumbling to my shoe tops is i can't find a single patch down range. not one. it's a first for me. i like to read them.
both were over 85g ffg 777. my neighbor gave me 2 lbs. need to use it and don't have any stumps to blow.54 caplock target.jpgcabelas 54 stainless.jpg
a Cabelas special i put in a Investarms walnut stock.

i remember having the flu in 1957 or there about that was almost as bad but this one made me feel i needed to get better just to die.
i still haven't found any patches even after a 25 foot wide sweep the full length of the range.
Is it possible they all burned or ???

i remember having the flu in 1957 or there about that was almost as bad but this one made me feel i needed to get better just to die.
i still haven't found any patches even after a 25 foot wide sweep the full length of the range.
Is it possible they all burned or ???

OK well first, that was hilarious! Kung Fu Flu....🤣

KUNG FU.JPG

You could be burning up the patches BUT you would've likely seen teen tiny little wisps of smoke coming up from the ground. If not, then perhaps the patching material was getting damage in other ways. Shoot a test target at 30 yards and then at 100 and see how wide that grouping compresses or spreads. That will tell you if you are cutting patches, if the grouping is super wide at 100 yards.

LD

shot one of my .54's today. 60 yards off hand trying different thickness of patches and different lube. despite shaking like a doberman passing a peach pit from being sick for 3 weeks with the kung fu flu, i hit the target . mostly.
grin

used .530 ball. a bore butter saturated .0120 patch first. those were the ones on the cardboard.
next i used pillow ticking patch .0175 soaked in my mouth while pouring powder. Those are the ones in the 6 inch black. Shows promise. i think when i am stronger i will be able to shrink that spread.
The thing that has me mumbling to my shoe tops is i can't find a single patch down range. not one. it's a first for me. i like to read them.
both were over 85g ffg 777. my neighbor gave me 2 lbs. need to use it and don't have any stumps to blow.View attachment 69337View attachment 69338
a Cabelas special i put in a Investarms walnut stock.
60yds off hand. Not bad in my book when you are not 100% well.
👍

it rained last night and I found 6 patches all in a 5 foot area! walked over them 5-6 times before and I didn't see them. the three on the right are ticking with saliva, the three on the left shredded are cotton TC patches with bore butter.
it looks to my old eyes like the ticking patches are about right . maybe I need to smooth up the rifling a bit to keep them from cutting so bad? what say you? i used some inside mic's on the bore this morning and its right at .550 .

Attachments

• patches.jpg
    patches.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
@deerstalkert may be correct that the bore is still a bit rough. Doing some smoothing shouldn't hurt the bore any. The 0.012" patches with Bore Butter and a rough bore with gas blow by will shred patches. The ticking may be providing a better seal for the gas bypass. Does the ticking have the tiny holes on the ball circumference showing wear cased by the sharp lands or a sharp crown? Take a look at the crown to see if those edges are sharp. If you are cutting the patch at the muzzle or have a strip of the ticking, use a 6" strip and push the ball in about 2" and use the excess strip of fabric to pull the ball out. That will tell you if the lands at the crown are cutting the patches. The combination of crown cutting, thin patches and super slick bore butter is a recipe for shredded patches.

Latest posts

Back