• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally Joined the Smoothbore Family!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I finally caved and got myself a Pennsylvania Fowler kit from Jim Chambers. I was lucky enough to be able to go to his week long class also, and get to learn a lot more about building flintlocks, correct techniques, and most importantly of all, what NOT to do! Since this is only really my second build, and the first I've had to do anything special like inletting, drilling through the lockplate, etc., I made quite a few mistakes, though the kind folks there helped me out greatly to fix them, and prevent them. Huge thanks to everyone who helped get me there, and for everyone who helped me prepare, and learn!

Now, the kit is not quite finished, as I have some final shaping, carving, sanding, and finishing to do, but here is the product of a week working all day...

Carolina_Skinner

You're in the home stretch, finish strong and keep your eye on prize. Looking good so far.

:hatsoff: great looking gun, but you will soon be a junkie. Preciussion over the counter ml are the gateway drug, then you want an hc rifle, then it's flint,then its smoothie. Your in deep at this point. Just last night I dreamed I had a match lock and was trying to get the photo on the forum. I'm a lost soul, and now you have joined the ranks.

Looking sharp :thumbsup: Take your time. It aint gonna run off. Get us some pics when ya get er done an CONGRATS to ya :thumbsup:

SIR,

Allow me to offer a two-year, no charge, accuracy-reliability-durability test of said smoothbore. I will put it through it's paces, on a monthly basis, and send you regular, written results of testing successes. AGAIN, at no cost to you. :wink:

At the end of the process, I shall return said smoothbore to you, well tested, and authentically weathered and aged, (lovingly of course), giving it that authentic and most sought after patina, that so few new guns have, as well as saving you that awkward, time consuming, breaking in period that so many have had to endure in the past. What could be more generous? :grin:

:thumbsup:

Sincerely,

LD

Smoothbores are wonderful creatures and will give their owners a lot of fun. That one you are working on is....well, so good looking. You are now officially an addict.

Love that gun. Just to give you an idea of how great it'll look when finished! :wink:

Thank you all for the kind words!

You are all right, I'm in way too deep now, there's no turning back. From now on, unless it's bow season I will be hunting strictly with a flintlock! And of course when I'm not hunting, doing a good bit of shooting too!

Loyalist Dave, I appreciate your VERY generous offer, I have no doubt you would do her justice, but I think I might be able handle it :haha: :wink:

Carp, would you mind if I pm'd you with a few questions about your gun?

Thanks again y'all! Can't wait to try her out, and she'll have to get a name too!

Carolina_Skinner

I don't see any mistakes, or big ones . . .

I am currently building my second rifle too, and it is also a Chambers PA Fowler. . .but the weird left hand model . . so I really enjoyed your pics.

Carp - What stain did you use on your PA fowler? I assume it is maple and not walnut stock from your pic. I really like the color and it is what I have in mind for mine.

Thanks

MAC

Skinner, That needs a lot more wood removed, especially along the barrel. Exposing a little better than half the barrel diameter will make it look as light and graceful is it may already feel. The hardest thing is removing that last bit of wood, but it has to be done.
Robin

Robby said:
Skinner, That needs a lot more wood removed, especially along the barrel. Exposing a little better than half the barrel diameter will make it look as light and graceful is it may already feel. The hardest thing is removing that last bit of wood, but it has to be done.
Robin

Take your time..slim it down...more ram rod and barrel showing..You are almost there.. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back