• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got the opportunity to shoot my Crocket Squirrel Rifle…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not wood, it's the aluminum one that came with the Crockett rifle.
Sorry, my aluminum ram rod is black so I just assumed the brown rod was wood.
It has been raining all day today, so I spent some time trying to improve my ram rod. I usually use a range rod when I shoot at the club but wanted to leave it behind in the woods. I usually swab between shots and the factory ram rod tip doesn't grab the cleaning patch. Therefore, I attached a regular jag to the butt of the rod. I sanded down the jag so it wouldn't be so tight and to stop the rod from getting stuck in the barrel as it sometimes does with the range rod. The jag adds some length to the rod but there still wasn't much to grab on to. I enlarged the hole that goes through the loading jag that comes on the ram rod. I found a stiff wire that would go through the enlarged hole. Then, I found a hard wood dowel and cut it the width of my hand. I drilled a hole 2\3 the way through the side of the dowel in the middle. The hole was just a little larger than the ram rod. I then drilled a hole end to end twice the size of the wire. So, I put the end of the ram rod in the center hole of the dowel. Then, I run the wire through the dowel and the hole in the ram rod.
The result is I have a T handle on the end of the factory rod. I bent a circle in the end of the wire to give me a loop to tie a leather to. Now, I don't have to take the range rod into the woods.

Nice! I just bought the brass ramrod made for the Crockett rifle by The Log Cabin Shop. They make a "T" handle for one end of it also and that way you can just carry it in your shooting bag. It's 5/16 and fits perfectly with no rattle.

thumbnail_IMG_0904.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, my aluminum ram rod is black so I just assumed the brown rod was wood.
It has been raining all day today, so I spent some time trying to improve my ram rod. I usually use a range rod when I shoot at the club but wanted to leave it behind in the woods. I usually swab between shots and the factory ram rod tip doesn't grab the cleaning patch. Therefore, I attached a regular jag to the butt of the rod. I sanded down the jag so it wouldn't be so tight and to stop the rod from getting stuck in the barrel as it sometimes does with the range rod. The jag adds some length to the rod but there still wasn't much to grab on to. I enlarged the hole that goes through the loading jag that comes on the ram rod. I found a stiff wire that would go through the enlarged hole. Then, I found a hard wood dowel and cut it the width of my hand. I drilled a hole 2\3 the way through the side of the dowel in the middle. The hole was just a little larger than the ram rod. I then drilled a hole end to end twice the size of the wire. So, I put the end of the ram rod in the center hole of the dowel. Then, I run the wire through the dowel and the hole in the ram rod.
The result is I have a T handle on the end of the factory rod. I bent a circle in the end of the wire to give me a loop to tie a leather to. Now, I don't have to take the range rod into the woods.

I hope to get a hickory RR for this one. Most likely make it longer than the stock RR even if it sticks out further than it should be. I do not like the stock RR at all. I can see where a range RR would be a nice asset as well. That small dia, somewhat shorter RR can be difficult to grab ahold of sometimes, as I quickly learned.

Last edited:
Okay fellas, I finally got out and shot my Crocket Rifle. Only 5 shots for now just to get the feel of it. It’s shooting high at 25 yards but I’ll work on that. Just looking for a pattern.

Using 20 grains of 3F black powder and .015 patches lubed with bore butter.

Only recovered one patch and I would reckon it looks okay, but I’ve been away from patch and RB for many years. So perhaps some of you can judge it.

5 shot group. Looks like I pulled 2 of them. It measures 1 inch exactly.

I apologize for the pics. Dang phone is difficult to work with and is slower than wet gun powder.

View attachment 191081
I usually hear about Crockett shooting right on out of the box. Sometimes, there is talk of filing the front sight to bring the poi up. But, mine like yours shoots too high. Someone on the forum was kind enough to give me a formula to help with filing the rear sight.

Distance to target=25 yards= 900 inches
Distance to move impact=? Inches
Distance between sights= 21 inches on Crockett

21x?(distance to move impact)\900=sight adjustment to file

I usually hear about Crockett shooting right on out of the box. Sometimes, there is talk of filing the front sight to bring the poi up. But, mine like yours shoots too high. Someone on the forum was kind enough to give me a formula to help with filing the rear sight.

Distance to target=25 yards= 900 inches
Distance to move impact=? Inches
Distance between sights= 21 inches on Crockett

21x?(distance to move impact)\900=sight adjustment to file

Getting ready to go out and shoot mine some more. Going to do a little experimenting before I file on the rear sight. One of which is to move the target out to maybe 40 yards and see where the POI is. That might give me an idea on the situation. Also, different patch lubes, as well as different powder charges. Not sure about the formula above, so I'll be filing a little at a time instead after testing. This might take a few days to get er nailed down. But what the heck, its goes with the territory.

Okay fellas, I finally got out and shot my Crocket Rifle. Only 5 shots for now just to get the feel of it. It’s shooting high at 25 yards but I’ll work on that. Just looking for a pattern.

Using 20 grains of 3F black powder and .015 patches lubed with bore butter.

Only recovered one patch and I would reckon it looks okay, but I’ve been away from patch and RB for many years. So perhaps some of you can judge it.

5 shot group. Looks like I pulled 2 of them. It measures 1 inch exactly.

I apologize for the pics. Dang phone is difficult to work with and is slower than wet gun powder.

View attachment 191081
I can get groups like that well past 100 feet. Your rifle is capable of really good accuracy. When you get the load dialed in you will be more than happy with it.

Just finished up testing the Crocket Rifle again. Different rest, different powder charges, different patch lubes. I was being careful to apply the same amount of pressure when seating the ball, the best I could anyway.

Swabbed after every shot.

Began at the same 25 yards with the same charge.....20 grains, .015 patches and Bore Butter lube. Group tightened up today. I attribute that to a better rest and a slightly bigger aiming point on my target. POI still high.

Next I took it back to 35 yards, same loading. It became quite apparent that, at least with those sights, my vision is not up to the task. Target/sight picture too fuzzy. One can only shoot as good as one can see, so I gave up on that one. POI still high.

Back to 25 yards. Changed over to Crisco for lube. Group widened up. POI high. I don't like Crisco as a patch lube as is. Perhaps if it were mixed with beeswax?

25 yards, 15 grains and Bore Butter patches. Group opened up from the 20 grain charge. POI still high.

Decided to stop for the day. I'm sure after banging away for hours, I lit the fuse on the neighbor lady's panty shield. Besides, I was getting tired.

I am confident my Crocket Rifle is shooting more accurately than my old eyes can see.

5 shot group. The hole at the edge of the black at the 2 O'clock position is was not part of the group.

I am happy with that group. Dead squirrel. Plenty good nuff for squirrel hunting at the distances my old worn out eyes will allow.

Now its time to get out the file and go to work on the rear sight.
40507DDE-4876-44EA-A5B9-88A25E74A76F.jpeg

Last edited:
Back