• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got the opportunity to shoot my Crocket Squirrel Rifle…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay fellas, I finally got out and shot my Crocket Rifle. Only 5 shots for now just to get the feel of it. It’s shooting high at 25 yards but I’ll work on that. Just looking for a pattern.

Using 20 grains of 3F black powder and .015 patches lubed with bore butter.

Only recovered one patch and I would reckon it looks okay, but I’ve been away from patch and RB for many years. So perhaps some of you can judge it.

5 shot group. Looks like I pulled 2 of them. It measures 1 inch exactly.

I apologize for the pics. Dang phone is difficult to work with and is slower than wet gun powder.

A696E7BE-84A1-4EB0-A20B-9F2B666471E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a good enough group to kill a squirrel. At that range, you can probably just increase the charge to maybe 25 grains and because the ball will come out of the barrel a bit faster as the muzzle rises, it'll shoot lower. This effect quickly goes away at longer ranges, but most of the time squirrels are shot pretty close in. That said, for squirrels, you can probably get away with a 10 or 15 grain charge, so if you can, adjust your sights.

I've had my .32 (T/C Cherokee) for some years now and have killed a number of squirrels with it. Once I got two shots at the same squirrel as he sat on his perch and scolded me while I reloaded. He was delicious.

E030AB39-9BEA-4B2A-A4A4-4EE09F15CE1E.jpeg
E030AB39-9BEA-4B2A-A4A4-4EE09F15CE1E.jpeg

Looks like a good enough group to kill a squirrel. At that range, you can probably just increase the charge to maybe 25 grains and because the ball will come out of the barrel a bit faster as the muzzle rises, it'll shoot lower. This effect quickly goes away at longer ranges, but most of the time squirrels are shot pretty close in. That said, for squirrels, you can probably get away with a 10 or 15 grain charge, so if you can, adjust your sights.

I've had my .32 (T/C Cherokee) for some years now and have killed a number of squirrels with it. Once I got two shots at the same squirrel as he sat on his perch and scolded me while I reloaded. He was delicious.
Sights are fixed so I have some filing to do. Either way they need adjusting.

Exactly. You need some come down on it, but windage looks like it should be good. Again the stringing could well be sight picture change from a change of head position on the stock
The three that are basically sharing the same hole were when I had a good rest and didn't pull the shot. I felt the butt stock move laterally on the other two shots. I would say the windage is good. I will need to get out the small files but not until I shoot it more first.

Also try turning your square target 90 degrees so the points are up. Draw the square that way with the lines radiating out from the corners. Much easier to tell when your sights are not perfectly placed. I know that sounds simple, but damned if it doesn't help.

Make sure you have your best grouping from a specific powder charge, patch and bullet combination before you use the file. If it is still shooting high, you will need to file down the top of the rear sight just a little at the time.

You could also potentially just buy a taller front sight. If it then shoots low, file the front sight down. This is usually easier than trying to lower a fixed rear sight with a file. Also, if you decide to sell it, you can include the original unaltered sights... which just might turn into some serious coin some day. Never would have thought my Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle would ever get as valuable as it eventually did. Wish I had the original box!

Make sure you have your best grouping from a specific powder charge, patch and bullet combination before you use the file. If it is still shooting high, you will need to file down the top of the rear sight just a little at the time.
Indeed, I am going to test the charges a little before doing anything but I'm almost sure the rear sight will have to be filed down. We shall see. I'm at 20 grains now and the max is 30 grains. So ill try 25 grains and see what happens. Doubt I will shoot the maximum.

FWIW, I haven't tried different lubes yet either. Thought I would begin with what I had on hand. The accuracy is there as is. The rifle is shooting more accurate than I am, or than what I can see.

You could also potentially just buy a taller front sight. If it then shoots low, file the front sight down. This is usually easier than trying to lower a fixed rear sight with a file. Also, if you decide to sell it, you can include the original unaltered sights... which just might turn into some serious coin some day. Never would have thought my Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle would ever get as valuable as it eventually did. Wish I had the original box!
I'm actually considering installing an adjustable peep on it. Having a difficult time seeing fixed sights due to old eyes.

I'm actually considering installing an adjustable peep on it. Having a difficult time seeing fixed sights due to old eyes.
Oh... I'm right there with yuh! Try some low-magnification reader's glasses from the Dollar Store. I got one gun with an adjustable peep... a T/C Hawken .
45 with a Wiliams FP- Hawken. It has worked out well, but I ended up running out of low adjustment room. I increased my load slightly and got my gun to hit my thirty yard targets. Hits a little high at fifty yards, but probably would dial right in at a hundred... if I ever wanted to shoot at something that far away.

I'll say one thing for the little fella. The shots whet through several layers of thick cardboard and then through a metal Real Estate sign and kept on going into a stump. It might just have a little more raz-a-ma-taz than I thought it would.

Last edited:
I'll say one thing for the little fella. The shots when through several layers of thick cardboard and then through a metal Real Estate sign and kept on going into a stump. It might just have a little more raz-a-ma-taz than I thought it would.
I wondered where all the Real Estate signs have been disappearing to!

That horizontal stringing is likely cheek placement and sight picture change. Looks like it shoots well to me.
Actually, this time it was from the butt stock moving laterally. I felt it move on the shot. It was a make shift bench system I was using. But you are correct, cheek placement can cause that. If the weather doesn't turn bad again tomorrow, I hope to prepare a better rest/bench.

Back