• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got me a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got me a smoothbore, my plans are to develop loads for squirrel (East Texas) has the best squirrel hunting in the state, use on turkey and rabbits. my biggest plan is to shoot patched roundball out of it the bores are cylander. maybe develop some buckshot loads. experimenting is gonna be a blast. not sure of what all ill need but heard if you want a better pattern more shot than powder. we don't have turkey hunting in east texas although there are turkey here. im really excited as ive wanted a smooth bore 12 gauge for awhile now

Congratulations on the new smooth bore double Howie!
I know you will like it.
Have fun with the load development and remember squirrel season is right around the corner!

thank you sir. I hunt squirres pretty close to you. there are 2 wma around Ratliff and Kennard that are squirrel only one is air gun only the other is shotgun and air rifle a lot of hogs on that wma

Do try the Skychief special shot load. Most people see nice uniform patters. I had to do a paper “shot cup” to get the best pattern for turkeys.

Putting lube on the paper cup keeps it from slugging. At least for me.

Like you said load development is always a hoot! My 12 ga double likes the same load as my 20ga flintlock Fowler. 70 g 3F, felt wad, 90 gr #6 shot, a heavy nitro card and last but not least a sloppy wet with olive oil fiber wad!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Forget buckshot, make the paper shot-cup, and fill it with .375" balls and a buffer. Trust me you'll like it. Two .375's will sit side by side, then the next two go 90 degrees from the first two, then the next two 90 degrees from them, and so forth. Ten of them would be a reasonable load...for whatever reason one should want such a load. :)

Well everyone will tell you their ball loads, I find a .690" ball with a denim patch works great, or a .690 "chewed" ball and a thinner patch. For me, more powder, more accuracy. 120 to 150 grains. And the bare-ball guys will chime in with their good stuff.

Enjoy.

Back