• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got a Lehigh!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got a Lehigh. I always wanted one. Mostly out of curiousity and their different architecture. Mike (Brooks) had a spec gun finished, and the wife saw me looking at the pictures on the computer. She asked me if I wanted it. I say "Of course." Well, "Merry Christsmas go get it." she says. I called Mike and we made the deal in December, but we waited until the crazy Xmas/Covid mail-order rush died down to ship it. Got it yesterday. .44cal. and 44" Hoyt barrel. Dale Johnson lock. More pictures on my blog at www.bricestultzhislog.blogspot.com.

DSCF1801.JPG

They have reputations as "cheek slappers". My first one certainly is, but it's a Stophel Long styled gun (a 50) rather than a Rupp, like yours. Those (Rupps) are more generous in the butt area. I'll be curious to hear what your results are with heavier loads. My other is a Kunz, but it's only a 38 so has no tendency to slap. Partly because the architecture is better, and partly because it's a heavier gun (7.4 pounds vs 6.9), longer barrel (48" vs. 44"), and the ball weight is only 40% of the 50.

This one isn't a slapper. Mike put 1-1/2" more drop in the comb to avoid that. The top of the comb where my cheek touches pretty much lines up with the bore. It just slides back on recoil.

That's the one Mike's been talking about over on ALR? I know he said he's finally gotten over his reticence to tackle the Lehigh architecture. He did a fine job as you would expect from him. Awesome gun.

That’s a really nice gun. Mike’s guns are interesting to me. They all look like originals and have interesting features. With his experience a gun isn’t going to be hard to shoot no matter the style.

I love the nuances and unique nature of the central Lehigh county architecture. They are unique to just about any other style of LR, (as well as other areas of the county) and just plain "weird" that way. You almost have to forget everything you know as "correct" about other LR architecture in order to appreciate them. The nuances of the belly line curve (and then the secondary one under the TG) are particularly vexing to get just right. How high to make the top line of the wrist is another area that gives builders problems. It usually takes builders at least 3 builds (but usually 5) before they feel like they got it "right". I suspect the same problems existed in the 18th century as well as the 21st for builders.

Lehighs and Bucks as unique architecture really don't exist much before about 1785, nor do we find them much after about 1810. That lends me to believe it was a fad that just ran its' course and then petered out. That doesn't mean it's not beautiful, or wasn't viable. Just that it didn't last that long. Because of the difficulties in building one that is NOT a cheek slapper, I suspect that had a lot to do with that.

Latest posts

Back