• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

finally ate crow! stuck patched jag.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
had to put a new sight on my favorite Hawken today after this mornings session.
went back to my range to zero/file the new sight. found i had left my .50 cal tools back at the shop. being the lazy old dog i am i just used a 45cal jag out of the bottom of my possibles bag on my hickory ram rod with double patch to swab. Yep went too far and it bunched and stuck. well long story short i got the ram rod out but left the end and patched jag in the barrel. load up and head back to the shop. measure stuff and find a bolt that is just slightly bigger then the inside of the brass rod end. turn off the head. turn down to .186 and thead the thing to 10x32 to fit in my range rod. (the one i left in the shop while shooting). attach the new made tool to the range rod and slip it down to the rod attachment and turn it in, could feel it threading in. give a pull and feel it stick.
give a blast of air through the nipple while pulling the rod and out she comes. that only took from 1pm to 6 to get done. epoxied and pinned. both ends.
the joys of muzzleloading. at least i have a new tool in the box.
and the new sight was within 1 inch of the old one.

am too old to enjoy these types of "learning experiences. cuts into shooting time.
got my first muzzle loader 1 month after we got married 51 years ago. 25.00 for a Spanish made 9mm bored cap lock.
used a big spoon for a ladle to cast some 355 balls.
trouble was the spoon was from the set we got for out wedding.
still hear from mrs about that.

Stuck patch on a jag, pour some water down the barrel and let it soak in a little. That usually solves the problem.

.....and the rest of the story? Did it remain your ladle? Or did it make it back to the silverware set?
if i remember right i tried to hide the nicely case colored spoon in the back of the drawer. got home and the war department was waiting at the door tapping the spoon on her hand.
turned around went back to the Dept. and asked for another shift chasing drunks and druggies. figured it was safer.

if i remember right i tried to hide the nicely case colored spoon in the back of the drawer. got home and the war department was waiting at the door tapping the spoon on her hand.
turned around went back to the Dept. and asked for another shift chasing drunks and druggies. figured it was safer.
War department 🤣🤣🤣🤣

am too old to enjoy these types of "learning experiences. cuts into shooting time.
got my first muzzle loader 1 month after we got married 51 years ago. 25.00 for a Spanish made 9mm bored cap lock.
used a big spoon for a ladle to cast some 355 balls.
trouble was the spoon was from the set we got for out wedding.
still hear from mrs about that.

I'm in good company , that is a big no no , Have done the same thing, you would think that time heals old
wounds , but not in her house hold . I walk slow and drink a lot of water around her now.
gunny

Act completely shocked and baffled! Then fake a heart-attack right there.

Latest posts

Back