• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally, 1st trad blackpowder deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shot this brute today, Nov 11 2015 with my kit build Lyman GPR .54 cal.
Lee .535 cast rb
80grs Goex FFFG
Ox-Yoke .015 lubed patch

My hunting mate and I took our quads out to a spot that a truck would'nt be able to get into.
I found a rub, parked my quad in the bushes and followed the path next to the rub in around 15:00 this afternoon and found a high spot over looking some trails. I did some grunting and rattling on and off every 20 min then waited, at around 16:42 I could hear some movement thru the light crust of snow on the ground and soon enough this guy walks below me at approx 40yds, unaware of my presence. I line up my sights, give a "Bahhh", he stops and "BOOM" he drops. I quickly reload and when he lifts his head I touch off another shot just behind his ear.
I finally put some blood on my GPR I built in July 2009 and man did it ever feel good :grin:
By the looks of the entry wound on both shots there was no exit, so my pure lead hand cast round balls must've flattened out pretty good.

Thanks guys n gals,

Yeah the "white stuff", it was -9C or 15F with the windchill. My toes and pinky's were frozen. I was so tempted to walk back to atv but my desire to make a kill with my GPR kept me there. And it worked out :wink:
Next year will be my Pedersoli Frontier Flintlock.

Very nice Buck!! but at 15 degrees I'm in the house drinking a cup of hot chocolate! Cold weather like that hurts me too much.

Jamie, congratulations! That's a dandy buck and sounds like an exciting hunt. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

armakiller said:
at 15 degrees I'm in the house drinking a cup of hot chocolate! Cold weather like that hurts me too much.

Oh come on, Armakiller! :wink: That was WITH windchill, so it wasn't even really cold for real air temp! :grin: Now, when it's -10 or -15 F air temp with a wind chill of -30 or -40 :shocked2: that'll make you feel like being home with a hot cup of coffee is a more sensible thing to be doing!!!

So far only to small leas fragments from the head shot, the neck bone was mince meat. I dissected the whole neck are and came up with no more pieces of lead. The other lead rb lodged into his spine so when I cut the back straps out I'll dig around in there. :wink:

Latest posts

Back