• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Final range tune-up for Turkey season today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Fifth and final range tune-up session today...about as ready as I can be for Saturday's opener.
PS:
As you see in the target I missed one...and if that happens during the season, of course it'll be a world record 10 year old bird with 5" spurs and quadruple paint-brush beards dragging in the dirt.
:wink:

You can't use a rifle...I'm using a 28ga smooth bore (shotgun), with written Email approval from the NC-WRC laminated and tucked away in my hunting vest

You're able to shoot a single round ball out a smoothbore and still be legal? That's pretty cool.

According to the laws here in South Carolina, concerning deer hunting with my 28g, it's illegal but every time I talk to the DNR they say it's ok until I show them the book.

Wonder how much trouble it would be to lobby for a rule change.

Anyway, good luck today

Since there always seems to be a lot of threads about round vs. square patches, for what its worth I started out with store bought round patches years ago, and have now used square patches for a number of years in various calibers & gauges...simple / quick to make, 100% reliable.
Picked these up after my final Turkey season range tune-up session a couple days ago.

Rice 42" x .54cal Smoothbore barrel
90grns Goex 3F
.028" x 1+3/8" patches from Jo-Aann Fabric
Natural Lube 1000
Eddie May .520" cast balls

Roundball I have a serious no :bull: question for you.
As I look at your target (and that is a very nice group by the way)

Is that group where you would really aim?
I am not trying to yank your chain.

Skychief said:
I'd say you are ready to go Roundball. :thumbsup:
Good luck and keep us posted, Skychief. :hatsoff:

PS:
Well, I may have been ready...but the turkey gods must have been on break because I never heard a gobble or saw a feather.
Heard 3 shots (7:00am, 7:30am, 8:20am) from the exact same spot on the adjacent property like I do every year...probably been baiting them for months.

Latest posts

Back