• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Films set in the 1830s/40s?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56333

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've recently re-watched The Alamo (2004 version) and the miniseries Dead Man's Walk (1996), and am in the mood for some more films set around this period (1830s-40s) featuring some muzzle-loading action. I don't mind what part of the world they're set in, my main concern is that they contain an acceptable degree of historical authenticity (e.g. no people running around with Winchester lever-guns or 1950s pompadours in the 1840s).

I tried watching the film One Man's Hero (1999) but didn't finish it, I felt that it was a bit too heavy-handed with the whole "mean protestant americans, poor catholic irish" message, and some of the Irish accents were god-awful.

Someone recently mentioned the film Edge of the World (2021) to me, which is set in Borneo circa 1839 and is based on the real-life exploits of the first "White Raja of Sarawak", however after watching a trailer I'm concerned they may have made it more of a sappy romance movie than an adventure film. Does anyone here know anything about it?

Last edited:
Gentleman Jack, 2019-2022 on HBOmax. Very good costuming, no gunplay, yet I highly recommend for reasons which would become obvious very quickly. Primary source based.

Distant Drums, 1951 wl Gary Cooper on YT. Classic, filmed on location, not great accuracy.

The Pale Blue Eye, 2022 w/ Christian Bale streaming. Fing awesome despite the fiction. Jillian Anderson is still hot. Great costuming and acting.

Osceola, 1972 on Plex. Super bad.

The Alamo, 1960 John Wayne. A classic without accuracy, which fed the inaccuracies of 04's remake.

Meeks Cutoff, 2010 William Patton. A decent Oregon trail movie, mildly entertaining, but with very mediocre accuracy.

All I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
Even though it's 1805, I always loved Master and Commander of the Far Side of the World because of the ship to ship combat, flintlock action and mostly realistic use of the weapons. There's really not much difference in the weapons or combat from the Napoleonic Era to the 1840s anyway

Same concept with Sharpe's Rifles and all the resulting TV movies, it's the Peninsular War but anyone that enjoys that era of military history or weapons would like it. Lots of battle action, flintlocks and combat

There's not a lot in the 1830s-40s , but there are European movies set just before or after with lots of muzzleloader action like the Danish series 1863.

Even though it's 1805, I always loved Master and Commander of the Far Side of the World because of the ship to ship combat, flintlock action and mostly realistic use of the weapons. There's really not much difference in the weapons or combat from the Napoleonic Era to the 1840s anyway

Same concept with Sharpe's Rifles and all the resulting TV movies, it's the Peninsular War but anyone that enjoys that era of military history or weapons would like it. Lots of battle action, flintlocks and combat

There's not a lot in the 1830s-40s , but there are European movies set just before or after with lots of muzzleloader action like the Danish series 1863.

"Master and Commander" is top-notch. I also really enjoyed the "Hornblower" series.

Yes, as you say, it seems that cinema mostly skirts around the 1830s/40s and either focuses on the decades immediately prior or immediately after. It's a shame, because there's an awful lot of history in the 1830s-40s that could make for great viewing. For example I've still yet to see a decent big-budget production about the Mexican-American War. It was such a critical part of American history (most of the southwest and California, the home of Hollywood, was acquired through this war) and yet it seems to get mostly ignored in the film industry.

"Master and Commander" is top-notch. I also really enjoyed the "Hornblower" series.

Yes, as you say, it seems that cinema mostly skirts around the 1830s/40s and either focuses on the decades immediately prior or immediately after. It's a shame, because there's an awful lot of history in the 1830s-40s that could make for great viewing. For example I've still yet to see a decent big-budget production about the Mexican-American War. It was such a critical part of American history (most of the southwest and California, the home of Hollywood, was acquired through this war) and yet it seems to get mostly ignored in the film industry.
A modern movie, even something on par with the Patriot with CGI "extras" about the Mexican War, maybe even following a young Officer who later was prominent in the Civil War would be amazing. Even if 98% of the public is clueless about the Mexican War, everyone loves action with a story line. People don't know much about WWI as a whole, but 1917 and the new All Quiet on the Western Front did well because you don't need to be a history buff to follow along with them.

They made "Hostiles" about the late Indian War period and even though it had inaccuracies, it was nice to have a modern Indian War movie.

Since everyone is doing spin offs, crossovers, and everything else , someone like Clint Eastwood could easily produce something like a prequel to the Gettysburg movie starring all the Generals as young Junior Officers, fighting in the Mexican War. Showing future CSA Generals as young American Officers fighting heroically for America would show an important side of our history.

Try an oldie but goodie 1950ish The Big Sky starring Kirk Douglas and the great Arthur Hunnicutt. Keel boat fur trade up the Missouri river!
Ah ! Ya beat me to it ! Such a great movie ! I bought a copy off Amazon costs hardly anything and I've almost wore it out ! LOL ....great movie . I call them all my " flintlock movies " , so few of them .

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter clocks in about a decade or so before your time period, but it's pretty close. I wouldn't go in expecting Master and Commander or anything, but a good sense of humor and a few fingers of whiskey and it can be a good time.

I'm getting the 2 John Wayne films "Reap the Wild Wind" and "Wake of the Red Witch" mixed up.They are similar but yet very different. Both set in the 1840s with John Wayne as a sea captain.In which one does he fight the giant Octopus?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back