• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Filling a horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking for some information as to how to fill a powder horn or flask. Is it as simple as using a funnel or is there a special way you do it. I never see it mentioned, maybe because it's just so obvious.
Another thing, on a flask with a measure thats fixed, what is the proper way to use it.
Thanks for suffering through this with a newbee.
David

I make a small funnel out of paper and fill the horn..
Flask with a measure,, use it to pour powder into your fixed/seperate powder measure, replug/cap it and pour the powder from the measure into your weapon.Not a good idea to pour directly from the flask/horn into the barrel,,you have a hand grenade in your hand,real close to some very important body parts!!!!!!!!!!!!70 grains of powder go swish and scares you,flask/horn goes off it scares everyone...except you....
No dumb question,,,rather "suffer" in the explanation to a question,, than in the reading of a accident report......

first question: i just use a small funnel to fill my flask. a simple rolled up piece of paper would work as well.

second question: you place a finger over the end of the preset measure and turn the flask upside down. use another finger to open the powder release lever and shake the flask a little. then allow the powder release lever to close and turn the flask upright. the powder measure should be full at this point.

-matt

The metal spout cap that is available for Goex cans just happens to fit my powder horn spouts perfectly.
The plastic version worked great when I used a flask. My flask spout would fit inside the plastic can spout and seal tightly.
Sometimes I use a rolled paper funnel when I forget the cap spout thing at home.

For a powder flask with a fixed measure. You place the flask end over A SEPERATE POWDER MEASURE. Loading directly from a flask is dangerous! :hmm:

Funnel!?

Tweezers, one kernal at a time.

That way you can inspect each one before it's placed in the horn.
Any granuals that are not standard, out of round, show improper glazing or that have any sharp edges,,, ect,, can be culled before they cause problems later on.
This should be done without distraction, no TV, no Radio,,,
The process is best started a week or two before an afternoon shoot, that way you can get at least 6-8 shots.
Once you become proficiant, you'll get enough for 10-12 shots and have a rousing afternoon at the range.

:wink:
Do you know of any place that has a water cooler? The paper cups hanging on the side work great. A little tape on the outside paper edge, then snip the tip off with a scissors.

Take an empty rifle casing, enlarge primer hole with a drill,poke a hole in a spare BP cap, insert said rifle casing into cap and walla! Instant filling spout! Worked great for me for years!

I found a set of three small plastic funnels that work quite well for me. Both of my funnels have a filling port in the butt plug that make filling easy. Not all horns have this filling port and must be filled through the small end. The funnels work great for filling through the butt plug but I found that a paper cone works better for horns that fill through the small end. I just make a cone and hold it in place with a rubber band. I stick a small piece of tape on the large end of the cone to keep it from unrolling and pour my powder slowly to keep it from caking up in the funnel or cone.

I found that simply wrapping my short, fat fingers around the end of the horn created enough of a funnel. I just had to take it a little slow.

i'm partial to the centerfire shell casing stuck to the cap of the powder can method for filling a horn ... i use an old 5.56 shell 'cause i was in the service when i made mine.

as regards the measuring flask- i only use this for c&b revolvers. put your finger over the hole, turn the flask upside down, work the lever with another finger, release the lever and then turn the flask right ways up. now you put the powder into the chamber of the revolver.

obviously, you don't want to load powder from a flask or horn into anything recently fired. will it go off? probably not, but it's one less risk you don't have to take.

that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

I have two small brass funnels I use. One I got from a vendor at a shoot. The other is off of a powder measure, the type that you tip up to pour into the funnel set in the muzzle.
A funnel could be made from the tip of a horn or antler with simple hand tools.
As said never pour directly from the flask into the muzzle. Flasks are nice display pieces. Wuthuless for anything else.

funnel for a hip flask works great and it still works to prevent alcohol abuse by not spilling a drop when you pour the pie into your flask. just fill the powder first as rinsing a little goex into the pie has a better outcome than soaking you powder with cider. then stay out of that pie till you are through shooting for the day

Funnel!?

Tweezers, one kernal at a time.

That way you can inspect each one before it's placed in the horn.
Any granuals that are not standard, out of round, show improper glazing or that have any sharp edges,,, ect,, can be culled before they cause problems later on.
This should be done without distraction, no TV, no Radio,,,
The process is best started a week or two before an afternoon shoot, that way you can get at least 6-8 shots.
Once you become proficiant, you'll get enough for 10-12 shots and have a rousing afternoon at the range.

😉
Do you know of any place that has a water cooler? The paper cups hanging on the side work great. A little tape on the outside paper edge, then snip the tip off with a scissors.
Smartass 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Wrapping my hand around the horn always leaves a gap and I pour powder in my lap. So, I wrap a rag around the horn and then wrap my hand around it. I can fill up and not spill any of it. It's probably how the old timers did it and I like copying it. I doubt they had little funnels.

Anyone using a plastic funnel should be aware of the static electricity that can build up in one, indicated by powder kernels sticking to the plastic.

The easiest way to ensure static electricity doesn't build up is to rinse/immerse the funnel in a dishwashing detergent, let the detergent drain out, then let it air-dry naturally before using.

Anyone using a plastic funnel should be aware of the static electricity that can build up in one, indicated by powder kernels sticking to the plastic.

The easiest way to ensure static electricity doesn't build up is to rinse/immerse the funnel in a dishwashing detergent, let the detergent drain out, then let it air-dry naturally before using.

Rubbing with a dryer sheet works well too. I use one all the time when pieces of nitrocellulose stick to a funnel.

Back