• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Filling a horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a powder flask, I put my index finger over the spout, invert the flask, press the lever with my thumb, give it a little shake to make sure the powder fills the measure. Then release the lever with your thumb, but keep your fingertip over the spout. The measuring spout should now be full of the designated charge of powder. If it is the first load going in a clean gun, you can then pour the charge directly into the barrel. For all subsequent loads, pour the charge into an oversized powder measure, and then empty that into the gun. The only time you pour from the flask directly into the gun is for your first shot. After that, there is a remote chance of an ember.

Powder flasks can be useful, and help prevent wasting powder as some do by overfilling their measure and "striking off" the top of the charge.

Notchy Bob

Powder horns look better. :)
Point taken... A nicely made powder horn is a thing of beauty. I have seen a few that were not so nice, though, and I have seen some pretty good looking flasks. Flasks have been around for a long time, too. They can be an authentic addition to your kit, depending on what you are trying to portray. It is hard to beat a nice horn, though.

Horns have another advantage over metal flasks in that they don't "sweat" as sheet metal can do with rapid changes in temperature, and powder horns can be made airtight. I don't think the valving mechanism on a flask will allow it be really air tight, or water tight, for that matter. Flasks can also separate at the seam and leak, if abused. I think a good, sturdy horn can probably take more abuse.

For filling a common flask, I would recommend the large Pedersoli flask funnel:

Large Pedersoli Funnel.jpg

They make a smaller one for the little "Baby" flasks, too:

Small Pedersoli Funnel.jpg

These work very well. You unscrew the spout from the flask, then screw the funnel in its place while pressing the lever to hold the valve open. When you get the funnel screwed all the way in, you can release the lever, and the funnel will hold the valve open. Pour in your powder, then unscrew the funnel while you are pressing the lever. Release the lever when the funnel is out and replace the spout.

I would recommend the Pedersoli funnel because the threaded section is longer than on some other brands. Some are not long enough to hold the valve gate open while you are filling the flask, and you have to maintain pressure on the lever while you are pouring in the powder. They work, but not as conveniently as a funnel that holds the valve gate open for you.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Practice more just using your hand. I can fill mine to full capacity and not spill more than 10 kernels at most. Keep tryinging

Hold the horn about an inch below the top of your hand and pour. Do it over paper in case you pour faster than it will go down the hole.
With practice, its easy. Do it at the kitchen table for 30 minutes and you will master it.

Attachments

• 029 (800x600).jpg
    029 (800x600).jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 57
I see an area that the powder can slip through. That's why I wrap a rag around the horn and then wrap my hand around the rag. I get a better seal and can pour in the powder faster.

I have several small copper funnels I bought from a tinsmith at an event, but mostly I use the brass funnel attached to one of my powder measurers to fill powder horns.
A small piece of paper rolled in to a cone shape also works.

DRYER SHEET workes every time. when the drier sickle is done I grab them.

the horns that fill from the rear plug, that unscrews are much better / easier to fill..

Back