• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Filler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right, so if you load a smoothie with larger shot, like 00 and bigger, do you or should you fill the gaps with any sort of media to create a tighter or better packed load?

I'm brand new to a smoothbore, but am trying to get ideas for fall turkey season regarding shot bigger than small bird stuff.

I don't intend to use buckshot on turkeys, but I have a bunch of .36 balls that might be useful on deer later in my .60. Probably wouldn't risk a load of buck on a buck, but I could see using it on a doe. I usually carry two guns(muzzleloading not modern) into the woods for a stand hunt, both as backup for a bad shot, or as a secondary option.

Just want to know if all the gaps between larger shot should be filled with some inert media.

For turkey i don’t use any filler in the shot and i only shoot roundball...never liked buckshot for deer.

Nice to know. Never used buckshot on a deer either, but like I say, I have all these swaged .36 balls laying around and no .51 navy in which to use them. I have four flint rifles for deer but I need to use up these .36 balls.

Do you use #4 or #6 for turkey?

States differ in what is allowed for shot size & even gauge for turkey hunting, so check your regs. Buck shot is illegal for deer in most places and for good reason. It's not very effective because of the lack of penetration. Those that have seen it used will testify to it being a crippler, not a killer. Just food for thought.

States differ in what is allowed for shot size & even gauge for turkey hunting, so check your regs. Buck shot is illegal for deer in most places and for good reason. It's not very effective because of the lack of penetration. Those that have seen it used will testify to it being a crippler, not a killer. Just food for thought.

Yeah, I live in Bama which has very little regulation except no rifles for turkey. Buck shot is not illegal for deer here. Best part about hunting the South, no one has ever said "how dare you use a rifle for deer!" Except North of Hwy 92 in a couple counties near Atlanta. That's "bow only" country.

Gauge is not regulated for turkey here. If you only have a 36 gauge you can hunt turkey here. Not recommended but legal.

In case you ever visit Bama to hunt, here are the weapon regs

https://www.outdooralabama.com/wild... gauge or smaller,slugs, or single round ball.

.360 balls are a little small for most 36 cal revolvers. they take .375-.380 balls.

I don't use any fillers in ML as it will raise pressure. In Modern it raises pressure

I don't use buckshot for deer only big round balls.

.360 balls are a little small for most 36 cal revolvers. they take .375-.380 balls.

I don't use any fillers in ML as it will raise pressure. In Modern it raises pressure

I don't use buckshot for deer only big round balls.

The .36 balls were gifted by someone who literally found them. They are .375 diameter. My main question was regarding what to do with them in a long gun. My BP revolver days are over so I have no other use for them.

Might, just might, get a blunderbus and stuff it with them for the kitchen rifle rack. No leash laws where I live see, and you never know when a literal dogfight might break out in the back yard among the feral packs.

They would then go into the next pot of lead I melted and be cast into a new life form that could be used for what I need at the time.

Swaged lead balls being so cheap, I don't bother with casting my own. And it seems a shame to melt down nice swaged balls for casting.

You need a 45 smoothbore. You would be very surprised how 5 of them .36 would come out! That would take a close deer no problem.
Don't ask how I know!

I hear, ya, but given I have a .40 rifle, .45 rifle, .50 rifle, .54 rifle, and .60 smooth, another gun just doesn't seem prudent, fiscally speaking 🤔

Someone on the pistol page is looking for 36 cal revolver balls. You could probably sell them and buy whatever floats you boat and not have to compromise.

Back