• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Filing and tapping!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The below shown targets represent four or five sessions I've had with four different Hawken style rifles; three flintlocks and one caplock, .50 and .54 caliber...one with GRRW barrel and the other three with Sharon barrels. All fired from 100 yards with the exception of the target at top right which was fired from sixty yards. If I didn't know the story behind these targets I'd initially think not to hot BUT...after several filings upon the front sight and tappings on the rear barrel sight, the shots you see at center are the final results of several afternoon sessions on the range proving to me that these rifles have excellent accuracy. All loads fired were 100 grains KIK 2F powder and Hornady swaged round balls; .490 & .530 as required using .018" pillow ticking and Canola oil for lube. I wiped after each shot.

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Sun City, that is pretty impressive shooting! It's better than I can do.

Off hand or bench, it’s excellent shooting at both 100 and 60 yards!

If I were a betting man I’d say bench shooting? Regardless, it’s very impressive either way!

Respectfully, Cowboy

At 80 my offhand days of shooting are over!

I was zeroing four different rifles over about a three week period of time and having to file front sights down and regulate rear barrel sights on each. I was testing for accuracy and I never did or would do it shooting offhand!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Back