• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

File Sharpening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first post. (I don't know anything about using UBB Code). I read Albert's post of 2/26/04 regarding intending to have some files and rasps sharpened (presumably by Boggs File Sharpening Co.)and then informing the forum about the results. He may have already done this and as a beginner I don't know how to find his "results" post, but there was nothing in the thread (that contained his 2/26/024 post) about the results.

I should have the files back next week,they e-mailed me on 03-10-04 and were ready to ship back, I will post on how they turn out.

This is my first post also.

I've tried sharpening files with acid (by taking them to the plating shop at work) and can verify that it does work.

The teeth end up a little ragged, but the file does cut again.

I personally don't feel it's worth messing with the acid, but if you just want to hog off some metal and if you have a good sharp file to finish the job with, you might find it worth dipping an old dull file.

hey Folks, I received my files back today,and I am impressed. I went to our tool crib at work and got a new 10" flat bastard to compare with one that was redone,the resharpened file is a lot better than the new one. The lathe file cuts better than it did when it was new. The cabinet rasps also are a lot better than new. I had an old half round wood rasp that I picked up at an auction somewhere that was completly wore out and they helped it a lot,if I was going to send one out in that bad of shape again, I would take a small grinding point and work the backside of the teeth off a little,and it would be better than new, don't get me wrong, it was ready to be pitched into the scrap bin,but now it will last me a long while.All and all I am very satisfied with the quality of work that they did, and I going to send them some more.

Thanks for the information Albert.
I suspect the Boggs File Resharpening Co's business may pick up in the near future.

Another trick with files is to only be in contact with the workpiece on the cut stroke.

No joke intended but to see someone using a file properly see the movie "Sling Blade" where Carl is sharpening a mower blade to split Cleetus' (whatever his name is) head.

Back