• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

File Sharpening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boggs

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What kind of file is used for a gun barrell. Also,
Can a file be sharpened.

Guess that all depends on what you are intending to accomplish Boggs. A flat mill bastard turned crosswise is fine for drawfiling. Triangular with one side ground smooth works well for cutting tennons for underlugs or sight dovetails. A small triangular ground properly can also be used to engrave if that's your pleasure. Remember to fill the saw face with chalk if you are drawfiling to prevent shavings from scoring the surface you are working on.

Don't know nuthin 'bout filing a file to sharpen it. Whin they is wore out ah jest file em in tha filing cabinet and reach fer a new one. I would imagine due to the hardness of a file, it would be impractical. Softening and recutting the surface is no doubt possible, and then possibly re-hardened. Files are not cheap of course, yet I believe the work entailed would be cost prohibitive.

Any quality medium to fine, flat metal file, no rasp or heavy cutting files should be used...

Not sure if they can be resharpend, however, the grooves in the file fill up with metal shavings and can be blown out with compressed air with ease...

I've not tried it but the books I have say to us battery acid ...let the file soak in a low dish ...better not use your wife's baking dish buy a cheap one from dollar general store to be on the safe side

The trick with files is the chalk. Don't put oil on them, it makes them skip, and if they rust they're gone. I guess you could sharpen them if you had enough time and patience, but at less than $10 for a new one why would you spend a whole day doing it?
Besides, old files are more valuable when forged into nice sharpe knives!

Common muriatic acid "pool acid" will sharpen a file somewhat. Not back to new, but a noticable improvement.Let it soak a couple of hours and try it. Nitric would be better, but more expensive.

Boys and Gals...I believe we are being taken for a ride....."Boggs" is also running an advertisement in the classifieds for a file shaprening service. If it is a way to drum up business, it kinda has a reverse effect on me. Mammy always said "fool me once, shame on you..fool me twice, shame on me..."

As Muderator for this forum I will report that I have recieved a question about this post and whether it should remain or be removed. I think it's only fair to give my opnion on this issue so you can see what I think about it.

When the Forum decided to allow Classified ads they were saying in effect: You members can try to sell STUFF OR YOUR SERVICES. I don't know of anything that says you have to loose money on the deal or even that it has to be a good deal, so if sharpening someones file increases someones wealth so be it.

This Post about file sharpening doesn't promise anything or for that matter say something like "Go see my classified ad for the deal of a lifetime". "Sharper than a Ginsu Knife. Never wears out!....." It just asks a question, and recieved answers from other members.
The members took note of the classified ad. What they do with that knowledge is their business as long as they don't get personal about it. To date, they have just made the observation and seem to have lost interest in the subject.

If someone can post a Post which says (and demonstrates proof) that someone accepted his files (or whatever) and money and then did not even return the dull files or something similar which could be a rip-off, then I think we have a case of false advertising which should be removed from the Classified Ads. I have not seen any evidence of this yet.

Thoughts on ACID:
IMO bathing a file in Sulphuric/Hydrochloric (Muratic) or Nitric acid is dooming the file to the scrap heap. All three acids eat steel.
The first victim is the place with the least material, to wit the sharp edge of the tooth. This will be desolved leaving a dull tooth.
Acids have long been used to remove sharp edges on delicate metal items. I know of no case where it has been used to sharpen a dull edge.

This may be of interest to some:

Boggs Tool Processing
And File Sharpening Co.
14100 Orange Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723

Phone (800) 547-5244

As far as I know they blast the old files with some liquid containing abrasives at very high pressure aimed to go in the direction of the teeth. I would think it would just make them dull but clean. If I remember prices were just $2 or $3 per file depending on how many you send. I never contacted them just made a note for future reference.

I guess I went to typin before I really looked at all the info here. If Boggs at the beginning of this thread and the Boggs in the classified ad, and Boggs I referred to in my last post are all one and the same; then I don't understand why he is asking if a file can be sharpened.

Anyhow, I have a stack of dull files if someone has a cost effective way to sharpen them, let me know.

Best way to sharpen an old file? Heat it in a forge, pound one edge thin and work all the teeth groves out of it (except a few near the base to prove it was good file steel), temper and strain relieve it and mount it in a hunk of stag. Then stone the edge nice and sharp.

I never tried to have one brought back? Saws yes, but how do you set the teeth the same height and slope on a file? Imagine using a file with irregular ridges.

Why screw up a $2,000 gun job for the sake of a $40 file?

I looked at the thread when it was first posted,,and thought "wwhaa?, sharpen a file??"
Cleaning a file is what using one is all about,but Remember junoir high school? and a file card?
IMHO, if you think someone is trying to sell something with his first post, then dump'im!
I'd just give a warnin and ask him to re-cant.!? If someone wants to have another "sharpen a file" then I guess it's tween them folk's,,duh.

Sharpin a file!? Right! what's next???

I've not tried it but the books I have say to us battery acid ...

What about other acids, like acetic acid (vinegar) or even phosphoric acid (as in soda pop)?

I use C***-Cola to remove the rust from stubbern brake bleeder valves so they can open, once broke free, flush with fresh water to wash the pop off...

I hear that C***-Cola will also eat a nail, so it should have a field day on a file...

Well I should be ashamed of myself. Yes I did it, I posted a message in the advertisement section & also posted a message stating "can a file be sharpened" in the personals. I could understand completely if you want to remove me from your forum. Someone from the Muzzleloading Forum recommended I list our services. I should have just kept to this. My thinking, in which I thought would initate a disscussion on file sharpening.I thought I would help people save money & create business for us. It was wrong & I apologize to you & your readers, do what you wish. This idea came from me & not from the owner of Boggs File Sharpening Company.
Again please accept my apology.
John Naumann

As far as I'm concerned you have nothing to apologize for. Your question about what files are used was valid assuming you know little of the art of making guns.
As I mentioned earlier, all members can post ads both for items and services.
That you did post an apology tells me that you were not out to mis lead the forum members.

I for one would be interested in what processes Boggs File sharpening uses.
Do they produce the high quality that a gunsmith needs? You should understand that the average file from some producers do not meet the needs of a good gunsmith.
Understanding that each file is different not only in size but in tooth form and count I must ask, do you know what the approximate prices we are talking about and what is the "turn around" time envolved?

Here it all is:

I am interested in the manufacturing of guns & have no clue about how they are made. Our main business which is file sharpening has saved many companies, individuals from buying new files. Two weeks ago one of your members found us on our website. http://www.BoggsTool.com

He mentioned your site & I thought Gun makers probably use files & are probably throwing away the used ones.
I was wondering what people did with them.

Around 800 wood workers, furniture, cabinet and laminate shops use our sharpening service to reduce their tooling costs. The cost to resharpen is: $1.28 for an 8

Well, Mr Boggs, I am one of those who was an unbeliever of the practice...and said so.
Seems I spoke out of turn. My apologies to you. I had never heard of the practice and therefore stated my leery attitude. I have no desire to offend a legitimate enterprise. "Eating crow" is not one of my favorite dishes, but i have no other choice. Again, my apology.
Sincerely
TwoShadows

TwoShadows: Nicely put.

Boggs: To answer your original question, the most common files used in gunmaking are Mill, Flat, Bastard and triangular. Often these have been modified to make one or more edges "safe".
Course half round and round files are often used when working with stocks.
Needle files of all shapes are also used when working on locks and finishing out dovetails etc.
In addition to standard file strokes, draw filing is an important method for finishing things like the barrel flats (Octagon barrels are common) and the ability of a file to resist "loading" is important. Files used in this manner obviously need sufficient tooth depth to accomodate the chips produced with this process.

I am shipping some files to be resharpened ,cabinet,lathe,rasps,and some others. I have been using files in tool and die shops for the lasts 30 yrs.,and I let you know the quality when I get them back

Back