• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

File recommendation for sight dovetail?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a hacksaw and file only on these.

1683463886828.jpeg
1683463916743.jpeg
1683463953665.jpeg

If you anticipate doing a lot of dovetails, splurge and buy the gunsmith safe file from Midway or Brownells et al. For the occasional home project, buy a small 3 corner file at the hardware & grind one side smooth.
Bingo. Right on point. That's what I did, works fine and, I'll betcha, my hardware store file would last generations of regular use. And, an inexpensive tool for what you need.

I bought the dovetailing file that Brownells sells. It's got two sides for filing and one smooth side so you're not deepening the dovetail while trying to file the wings.

Do yourself a favor and buy this file. It's not cheap but will save you headaches in the end, vs simply making a dovetail file by grinding down one flat of a regular triangular file. I tried the latter, and it didn't work, and the dovetails I made looked like s.h.i.t.
The strength of the Brownell’s file is that it is PARALLEL - no taper, perfect dovetails every time, in about 1/3 of the time you could set up the milling machine.

I use the milling machine to get close then the Brownell file to final fit... If you swap sights around a lot, the file is a useful tool to have. I don't think two dovetails are alike!

I prefer to create a plain rectangular slot and then use a cold chisel with a 60 degree angle bevel to create the actual dovetail. This works fine on muzzleloader barrels which seem to be slightly softer than smokeless barrels. After you roll back the small lip of metal with the chisel you can remove the upper part of the lip with s plain mill file. Leave a little of that lip sticking up. If whatever you are installing fits loose you can tap the lip down with a hammer to tighten the slot.

I prefer to create a plain rectangular slot and then use a cold chisel with a 60 degree angle bevel to create the actual dovetail. This works fine on muzzleloader barrels which seem to be slightly softer than smokeless barrels. After you roll back the small lip of metal with the chisel you can remove the upper part of the lip with s plain mill file. Leave a little of that lip sticking up. If whatever you are installing fits loose you can tap the lip down with a hammer to tighten the slot.
I tried that once and got nothing to lip up maybe to hard of steel?

Latest posts

Back