• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Field/Farm Use of Cap & Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you shoot one round ya might as well shoot them all. A fouled bore and chamber turns into a rusty bore and chamber even with substitute powders. I love my BP guns but for around the house I carry my 1911.
I just noticed your avatar. Why didn't you pick Grizzly Adams for your screen name?

As much as I love my various percussion revolvers my walk around for the woods is a 4 inch S&W 629, safer and more reliable IMHO. Since a Momma Bear is nearby with a couple of cubs and she may be a bit overprotective and short tempered so now everything but the Walker seems like not enough revolver.

I haven't given much tnought to your scenario, but i would hate to leave it fouled for more than 24hrs. I used to clean my more modernish gun with windex. Also my 58 remington. Spray it on and fouling melts right off.

Maybe decap, wet a patch, and wipe out the dirty chamber and barrel. Dry, wipe well with oil of choice, wipe off excess. Reassemble, holster, and back to work you go. Try it, its quick. And then you'll have the answer, better than we can provide. You'll have a good look into the 1800s at the very least.

Please let us know how it goes, my curiosity is peaked.

I haven't given much tnought to your scenario, but i would hate to leave it fouled for more than 24hrs. I used to clean my more modernish gun with windex. Also my 58 remington. Spray it on and fouling melts right off.

Maybe decap, wet a patch, and wipe out the dirty chamber and barrel. Dry, wipe well with oil of choice, wipe off excess. Reassemble, holster, and back to work you go. Try it, its quick. And then you'll have the answer, better than we can provide. You'll have a good look into the 1800s at the very least.

Please let us know how it goes, my curiosity is peaked.
I agree totally!! It can't take more than a few minutes to clean an open top barrel and a couple of chambers.
Mike

As much as I love my various percussion revolvers my walk around for the woods is a 4 inch S&W 629, safer and more reliable IMHO. Since a Momma Bear is nearby with a couple of cubs and she may be a bit overprotective and short tempered so now everything but the Walker seems like not enough revolver.
Yeah but even the Walker is a peep-squeak compared to 629 .44 and Keith loads.

I carry one of my many reproductive revolvers often, ether hunting, or around my farm. I prefer to shoot Goex over Pyrodex. It cleans easier and doesn’t start to rust things as fast. I wipe everything down and use moist cloth and patch with a balistol and water mix if I shoot one or two chambers. Haven’t had any problems yet, I do look everything over often until I fully clean the gun. I also have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight that I use when I clean a lot. Makes it easy and fast!

I have been carrying and using my 1860 with out giving it a full on cleaning, just a good wipe down after shots for 2 month now. No rust anywhere and looks as good as it did new. I do wipe the internal parts every now and again when I have nothing going on.

When I fist started shooting these revolvers in 2010, I only used Pyrodex. I could never find any real black. And had always been told Pyrodex was cleaner and better anyway. Now that I have discovered real black a few years back. I will never go back unless I cannot get any real stuff. I have never tried or cared to try 777. Goex seems to be way cleaner and less corrosive than Pyrodex to me.

I carry one of my many reproductive revolvers often, ether hunting, or around my farm. I prefer to shoot Goex over Pyrodex. It cleans easier and doesn’t start to rust things as fast. I wipe everything down and use moist cloth and patch with a balistol and water mix if I shoot one or two chambers. Haven’t had any problems yet, I do look everything over often until I fully clean the gun. I also have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight that I use when I clean a lot. Makes it easy and fast!

I have been carrying and using my 1860 with out giving it a full on cleaning, just a good wipe down after shots for 2 month now. No rust anywhere and looks as good as it did new. I do wipe the internal parts every now and again when I have nothing going on.

When I fist started shooting these revolvers in 2010, I only used Pyrodex. I could never find any real black. And had always been told Pyrodex was cleaner and better anyway. Now that I have discovered real black a few years back. I will never go back unless I cannot get any real stuff. I have never tried or cared to try 777. Goex seems to be way cleaner and less corrosive than Pyrodex to me.
My oldest Son and I have been saying for the last couple of years that we were going to buy a sacrificial/experimental revolver and try shooting it with minimal or no maintenance to see the results. Hasn't happened yet. The latest 1851 I bought was cheap by today's standard, but I can't yet bring myself to not clean the darn thing!

What I am doing with this one is kind of an experiment. I’m not going to completely neglect it, but I feel as if I am affording it the same amount of time and care as one would have during the war of northern aggression. Give it some attention and look over during down time, or at night after dinner. From the results thus far it seems the extensive cleaning I usually would do might not even be needed or is overkill.

I'm like you, if I shoot it I have to clean it or it will not let me rest. Black powder kept dry is not very corrosive but black powder fouling is so it cannot be left in a fouled condition especially where humid.

Unburned black powder is not corrosive at all.
Even wet, as far as I know.

Back