• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fiber optic inserts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Steele

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've discovered that trying to draw a bead on a black hog down a WELL shaded pine row, early in the morning using my really great BLACK target sights doesn't work out too well.
To gain a little more shooting time at both ends of the day, I had a set of Thompson Center fiber optic sights mounted on my factory original Thompson bbl. This is a dedicated hunting bbl. for those times when I want to shoot a big conical. It does VERY well with Hornady's 385 gn HP/HB Great Plains bullet AND we just found out today..( Thanks Moleeyes)... the Hornady "PA conical" 240 gn HB bullet. Got her sighted back in with the new sights, and just KNOW it's only a matter of time before the slender red insert in that front sight gets broken.
Does anyone have a line on replacement inserts..??? Not sure what the size is...possibly .039-.040..??
Thanks.

I bought a Lyman's Deerstalker with fiber optic sights as I've had a late evening hog shot that was difficult. But these sights are a bit too bulky to me.

I've since found a great glow in the dark paint claimed to do well on firearms when plenty of coats are painted on.

I intend to change out my sights to more traditional ones and applying this paint.

I did this on my ROA, but it was kept in a holster all day long (in the AM) and did not glow for long after it was shown the light for a bit.

Muzzleloader Builders Supply produces a "historically correct looking" front fiber sight in steel or brass

35097.jpg

I use in in combination with the traditional style peep that Track of the Wolf sells

rs-ca-peep-16_1.jpg

These really help with my vision - have always been near sighted and now my real close vision is shot too (sucks to get old :rotf: )

From 15 or 20 feet away they "look" correct on a traditional rifle - it's not until you get real close that you notice they are "not quite right".

But if "not quite right" means "bambi burgers" for supper, then I'm all for it :grin:

I LIKE IT...!!!!
Thanks for posting your alternative to the T/C fiber optic sight set.
Unfortunately, I've already mounted the T/C set, or I'd be all over that.
Ah well...another time, another rifle.
One thing's for sure...my eyes aren't getting any better.

I've had good low-light success by using a silver bladed front sight post. Maybe I'm too young yet to need anything else. For me though, if it's too dark for me to see my rear sight and that silver front sight, it's too dark for me to pick out the right area on the game animal to shoot at.

:idunno:

LD

That's what I use. I put candle soot on it and that works great for snow and bright days. Overcast days I just wipe it off with my thumb and I have the bright silver.

At one point I thought I would do better with a 1/16" wide front blade, and while it was great in most light at targets it occasionally vanished in the woods. Went to a 3/32" and that little bit makes a big difference.

I like to cut my rear notch the same width as the front sight. (On this current build it's a .050" wide blade, and about a .055" rear notch.) With the rear sight mounted 10" in front of the breech, and the front 34" in front of that, that seems to give me enough white on either side of the post (about equal to the width of the post) to let be center it properly. It would be a little too fine for closer range fast woods hunting type of work though.

If you are going to use the glow in the dark paint, or orange paint I would make a suggestion. Get some white Sally Hanson finger nail polish with nylon. put this on your sight first. With the white as the underlying color it will make the colors you put on top of it a lot brighter and with the glow paint glow brighter. The nylon in the nail polish makes it a lot more chip resistant. I use orange on all my front sights, as I have a very hard time seeing black on black sights. With out the white under the orange it just doesn't stand out, as it does with the white under it. DANNY

I found my solution, to that problem, in my desk drawer, its White Out. Its dirt cheap, flat white, and wipes off with your thumb when you are done shooting. I put a small dab on the top of the front sight. It is simple to center the spot between the arms of the buck horn rear sight. I haven't tried it but you could place a small spot on each arm of the sight. On clear bright days, I spray the sights with a product called Site Black. Site Black dries in minutes to a fuzzy black coating, that is easily removed. If you want to be totally PC, you could smoke the sights with a candle. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back