• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Illinois and it's true a modern made muzzleloader, even if it is of traditional design is considered a firearm. I just brought home a T/C Renegade yesterday evening and I had to fill out paperwork just like a modern cartridge gun and wait 3 days. I purchased the Renegade at a reasonable price on Saturday, and a few others from the shop over the last year or so, as part of an estate. Being friends with the gunshop owners I asked why don't you sell these online you would likely get a fair amount more money. The gunshop owner said to meet Illinois law requirements, they had to ship to an FFL and most out of state buyers didn't want to mess with it.

Upon further discussion Illinois law doesn't specify what part is the action, one can only assume the serialized part, yet it could be argued there is no "action" to the barrel. The law is loosely and foolishly written and doesn't specifically address the transfer of individual parts.

Just to show the ignorance of Illinois lawmakers; Pre-98's (1898 and earlier made firearms - antiques) are not subject to the rules. Interesting enough I can purchase a Remington Rolling Block in 8mm Danish (an antique rimmed cartridge) which has ballistics similar to a modern rifle and a rate of fire many times greater than a muzzleloader. That Remington "antique Pre-98" can be shipped to my door without any hassles or FFL paperwork.

To sum it up, if you live in Illinois and your muzzleloader was made after 1898 it is required by Illinois State Law to be treated just like a modern firearm.

I’m not 100% sure about this, but I don’t think you need to ship a primitive muzzleloader to an FFL. The ATF is not really concerned about primitive firearms. But Illinois might have some goofy laws due to all the gun crimes in Chicago
Certain states consider ML's as firearms; New Jersey for one, check for others. States often are more difficult than the feds on muzzleloaders.

Usually I just put in a USPS package and do a 'click and ship' label. My rural mail guy picks up and it get to wherever I am sending. Do not recall ever sending an ml to someone in Illinois. They might have some unique (lousy) regulations. Still happy with my decision to move out of Illinois in 1970. I have to think someone on this forum is from Illinois and can answer your question. Failing that, the suggest ion to ship in separate packages seems like a good one to me.

Still happy with my decision to move out of Illinois in 1970.

I was born in 1970 😉

People are still moving out of Illinois, so long as the property value isn't decimated by a mass exodus, my wife and I are considering moving when we retire. I have 6 years to get out early and she has 10 years. Thought very seriously about Colorado, we have visited multiple times while our son was at USAFA, but some locals told us Denver is filling up with liberally challenged California people and the state may turn to a toilet like Illinois. Missouri is close by and has some decent land owner hunting rules...Gandpa moved here from Indiana, they don't seem too bad as on option either.

May keep a mail box in Illinois as they don't tax your state retirement income.

Failing that, the suggest ion to ship in separate packages seems like a good one to me.

Johnny Cash it...ship it one piece at a time. Stock and barrel with lock shipped seperate would beat the law as I read it, although I'm not an attorney and it's your bottom you need to watch out for, CYA. Keep records of who you sold it too, that is part of the law. Name and address should be sufficient. A copy of their driver's license would make it easy on both sides.

Good luck!

I now add $50 to my estimated costs for any muzzle loader I'm interested in from Illinois. I got caught with this problem a few months ago; yep I paid an Illinois FFL to ship to my FFL. My FFL and I just scratched our heads as he handed me the box. No charge from my FFL but we both thought it was a great wast of time and money.

I am not from Illinois. My wife is and still has family north of Chicago. We go there several times a year and I always take something to shoot at a local range. Brother in law is a retired Dep Sheriff and my shooting buddy. Their gun laws are indeed absurd. Simply put if it goes bang, Illinois wants to know its every move. My guns enter and leave the state in a locked case with ammo in another locked case.

Back