• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFg in revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the camp
Someone asked if FFg would work in a revolver. To find out I tried a 20 grain (1.3 c/c) volume of KIK brand FFg in one of my .44 Marshals. The load was powder, a lubricated felt wad, and a .451" round ball. This is less that a max load, but the Comanches in this area are quiet so max power loads are not needed.
The cap was an RWS 1075. The nipples used were the original OEM nipples, and the original OEM main spring.
The RWS cap would not reliably ignite with the Lee Gunfighter reduced power mainspring that were in the guns and there was no Wolf spring in the parts box.
One gun was loaded with the same volume of Black MZ but no wad was needed and I saw little difference between the two, perhaps a bit more smoke with the BMZ and a bit more manure (Carbonized Randomly Accelerated Particles) with the FFg.
Understandably 6 shots is not definitive, but it worked, and hit targets with a good clink.
More to follow
Respectfully
Bunk

I have used FFg in a .44 caliber revolver, and it worked just fine. I wish I would have chronographed the velocity with similar sized charges of FFg and FFFg to compare the two powders. I could not notice a difference in recoil.

One of these days I’ll drag out the Chrony and see what we’re looking at here. For plinking or even target shooting, if it’s more accurate than 3f it’s worth doing. If you’re hunting or carry a bp revolver for everyday use, you might be better served by the best energy performance you can put on target from that gun.

well some one perhaps a new shooter asked. I had no idea, but loaded up to see what happened.
FFg worked just fine there is no Fg in the powder locker that I can find. If some turns up I will try it.
Cannon powder is so course ii is doubful that enough to push out the ball would fit so that won't be tried.
You are welcome
Bunk

I've used a lot of 2F in the past--both 36 & 44--and wouldn't hesitate to do so again as accuracy was excellent. I don't own a chronograph so I can't give you velocity figures. However, the 2F definitely leaves more fouling and if your gun is prone to that type of issue your best bet would be to stick with the 3F.

Latest posts

Back