• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFFF?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want faster fps. Can I go 4F? I don't want to have to go to modern substitute.
How about powder dust?

How much can colt clones take before breaking?

Higher velocity in what and why? Most folks avoid 4f except in the smaller colts with limited room in the chambers.

"How much can colt clones take before breaking?" I don't know myself but it sounds like you are to the road to finding out. It's possible to shoot the arbor loose in even the steel framed Colts, specially the Walker.

Topic has been ‘beat to death’ on this forum a few times. Folks like @Britsmoothy and I have taken it on the chin for expressing our viewpoint on using 4F. I continue to use it as I have for over 50 years in originals and reproductions without issue based on actual period powder charges and pre lawyering it up published loads. Do a bit of searching and you will find the threads. I am going to take pass for now on commenting any more on the topic to avoid the hair on fire crowd. In coming…..

Like SDSmlf said, this topic has been beat to death here on many occasions. Just do a search & read the old threads to get the answers to your questions. Hopefully this won't start another endless argument about 4F powder use.

Agreed! Britt's is correct. Been laid to rest on the safety of using 4F powder. Pressure vessels have confirmed that the pressure of 4F is actually less than 3F powder of like manufacturer.

Long way to state my conviction of the safety of using 4F powder as a main charge. Even tho the velocity and pressure will probably disappoint.

Please do publish your results.

Thats why I like you Brit, you are to the point and have back up your statement by actual using it. But the non-believers will be crying soon
Thank you but just for the record....After help from Zonie and offers we determined my finest grade that I can get my grubby hands on is like a mix of 4f and 3f.

One day I will come across some 4f proper and I will snap it up and shoot with it in full confidence in the total absence of any data scientifically proving it a dangerous practice 🙂

It's your choice to use whatever type and how much powder to use. I do hope that you have good medical insurance, you know, just in case.

This is true for any granulation used. ;)

And it is possible, regardless of the granulation, for the shooter to exceed the max load for the barrel, or even to exceed the proof load on barrels that have passed proof.

I think one is much much more likely to be injured from a barrel/breech failure by some ignorant fellow using a modern smokeless propellant in their muzzle loader, than by the use of 4Fg measured out for a main charge in a modern made barrel from one of several established barrel companies.

LD

I would recommend caution on brass framed replica revolvers.

I find a steady diet of less than maximum loads to be pleasant and enjoyable. Then again I am not using my revolvers to shoot feral hogs.
I should have been a little clearer with regard to my caution. I don't think a brass framed Colt replica will blow up with maximum loads, but frame stretching and a shorter useful life before it gets too loose to enjoy

Agreed! Britt's is correct. Been laid to rest on the safety of using 4F powder. Pressure vessels have confirmed that the pressure of 4F is actually less than 3F powder of like manufacturer.

Long way to state my conviction of the safety of using 4F powder as a main charge. Even tho the velocity and pressure will probably disappoint.

Please do publish your results.
Whose "pressure vessel tests"? Care to give a source? In our lifetime there have been a large number of pressure tests on black gunpowder. Many are wrong, some exceedingly so. I can send details if you are really interested.

Back